cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre, Hub Two modem-only with an Eero 5 Mesh - possible?

Touchstone64

Full Fibre, Hub Two modem-only with an Eero 5 Mesh - possible?

Hi folks,

I've read a lot of helpful posts on this forum but I don't seem to be able to find my exact setup described.

I'm planning to move to Plusnet's Full Fibre 900 service, and I have an Eero 5 Wi-Fi mesh. My intention is to put the Plusnet Hub Two into modem-only mode and use the existing Eero 5 mesh for W-Fi. What doesn't seem clear (to me, anyway) is whether I *need* PPPoE support on the Eero 5s. They can do DHCP or static IP for the WAN connection but I believe PPPoE support only starts with Eero 6.

If anyone has a definitive answer I'd be so grateful Smiley Plusnet support suggest any third-party devices should work alongside the Hub Two in modem mode, but I need to be sure the Eero 5s will cut the mustard before switching provider.

Thanks so much for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: Full Fibre, Hub Two modem-only with an Eero 5 Mesh - possible?

My intention is to put the Plusnet Hub Two into modem-only mode

@Touchstone64 modem only mode is for FTTC connections not FTTP. It effectively converts the FTTC DSL signal to Ethernet.

It has no purpose for FTTP since the ONT already provides an Ethernet output, you connect the router directly to the ONT.

In any event the connected router will need to support PPPoE.

If your Eero does not support it, then an option would be to change it to AP mode ( https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207621056-How-do-I-set-up-my-eero-if-I-want-to-keep-my-ex... ) and connect to a LAN port on the HUb 2 in normal router mode.

NB you may want to disable wifi on the Hub 2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Touchstone64

Thanks @MisterW that clears up a lot of (admittedly self-induced) confusion. The Full Fibre package is of course FTTP 🤦

In the Virgin Media world, the Smart Hub has that same functionality but presumably, 'modem mode' in that case means simply 'don't switch on the Wi-Fi antennae'. I still connect my Eero 5 to the VM Smart Hub using RJ45 and DHCP works as expected.

Unless the providers use different terms for the same feature/functionality or have fundamentally different equipments (hubs).

Presumably Plusnet will need to install cabling from the footpath where the fibre appears to my house, and then fit connection box(es) and an indoor ONT, I can't imagine Virgin will let them use any of their hardware!

Once again, thank you so much for such quick and definitive information 👍

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

In the Virgin Media world, the Smart Hub has that same functionality but presumably, 'modem mode' in that case means simply 'don't switch on the Wi-Fi antennas'

@Touchstone64 Virgin use DOCSIS ( even over fibre ) so in 'modem mode' the Smart hub still converts from DOCSIS to Ethernet. In addition the Virgin Hub presents the public IP via DHCP.

Presumably Plusnet will need to install cabling from the footpath where the fibre appears to my house, and then fit connection box(es) and an indoor ONT, I can't imagine Virgin will let them use any of their hardware!

Correct. This https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist gives details of an Openreach (which is what Plusnet use) FTTP install

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.