cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmation of PFSense PPPoe Settings

dagoodyear

Confirmation of PFSense PPPoe Settings

Hi all,

We get our ONT and FTTP connection installed in 2 days time. I'm just looking to confirm my understanding of the expected settings for PFSense to ensure no unexpected issues. The forums appear to have all sorts of old references in.

My understanding is the ONT supports non VLAN tagged PPPoE sessions, so for its configuration it just needs the PPPoE credentials founds on my accounts web pages with the username including the ending @plusdsl.net, and password.

(As the Hub Two has a Ethernet port not optical I would expect to connect our PFSense unit straight to the ONT via PPPoE, removing a point of failure?).

I see others are using PFSense in screenshots could someone please confirm if this as I guess should be set to ticked / true for "Configure NULL service name". (Conflicting reports in other threads I've found).

I'm presuming none of the advanced options should be required to make the connection stable etc: (Never had to use with our existing FTTP provider (non BT based)):

AdvancedOptions.PNG

If any things wrong i'll edit updates to the above, for any people finding it later on. Thanks in advance to any call-outs.

2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: Confirmation of PFSense PPPoe Settings

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dagoodyear

Re: Confirmation of PFSense PPPoe Settings

The settings worked as expected. PFSense thinks that the gateway is down, as it appears ICMP pings are not responded to. So the only extra setting required is to change the monitored gateway of the link. Other posts suggest 212.159.6.9 (PlusNet DNS Servers). (Would have updated the original post - but couldn't find edit options).