Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I replace my Openreach modem with a combined modem/router

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

Re: Can I replace my Openreach modem with a combined modem/router

@MisterW 

Looking through the thread it appears the user has tried turning on with a DSL cable connected and it still doesn't connect, so my last post was an attempt to help get the issue fixed.

hunter27
Dabbler

Since last post I have.

Replaced the DSL face plate with a standard phone outlet, fitted with a new filter. = still needs Openreach modem to work.

Borrowed a TP link modem router , substituted it for the PN one, reset it to factory and put in my log in details = doesn't connect through WAN or DSL? says check phone line.

Plugged it all in to a different phone socket (that works with a phone ) = no difference?

Only way I can get system to work is with the PN hub1 through the open reach modem.

Will leave it like that for the moment.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@hunter27 

The obvious next step is to try the Hub connected directly to the master socket, as everything is pointing to an issue with the cable between the master socket and the extension port.

If it does not work there an Openreach visit would be required

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@hunter27 

You could also try connecting directly to the Test Socket behind the Master socket faceplate - this isolates any internal wiring. Don't forget the filter.

A picture of the Master socket setup might also be helpful.

Brian

hunter27
Dabbler

Yesterday I tried plugging directly into the master socket  with the internal wiring disconnected but it made no difference all I got is (check your phone connection). This morning I plugged the PN router in to the master socket again and went down the PN fault finding route, It  asked what my connection was DSL or WAN I chose DSL and after entering the password again it took me to the hub manager to alter the config I didn't alter anything but it stated every thing was working and nothing needed changing???

It now works through DSL for the first time. I reinstated the router it back to where its usual location and it's working fine on DSL now.

Many thanks for all the ideas, don't know what's changed and find it annoying that it's sorted without me knowing what did it.

Thanks again, Pete 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

@hunter27 gald you got it working. Sounds like @Dan_the_Van was right , and the Hub one needs a 'reset' to get it to revert to a DSL connection from a WAN one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hunter27
Dabbler

Strange thing is I never ret the hub, at the start of the fault finding it asked if it connected through WAN or DSL, I clicked on DSL it  moved on to the next step then said it was connected?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

it asked if it connected through WAN or DSL

My guess is that that 'reset' the WAN/DSL detection method in some way. Whereas previously it was only checking for a WAN connection, it then started checking for a DSL one instead/as well...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.