cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I replace my Openreach modem with a combined modem/router

hunter27
Dabbler

Re: Can I replace my Openreach modem with a combined modem/router

Hi This is my set up that is working fine at the moment. 

In answers to questions- Master BT socket is at the other end of the house with wiring under u/stairs floor feeding 2 phones and this DSL socket. 

I did remove the WAN socket when I plugged the DSL plug from the modem to the hub.

Everything has been working for a few years now but I don't know if there is a filter upstream or not at the moment.

I have a new sealed filter but without the phone socket nowhere to plug it into.

This is my set up at the moment and it is working. The master BT socket is at the other side of the houseThis is my set up at the moment and it is working. The master BT socket is at the other side of the house

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@hunter27 

Hope you don't use the PN credentials currently on show in the picture!

You could try with the filter plugged into the DSL socket and then to the Hub1 DSL port.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

So the wiring has been bodged with presumably the filtered dsl output from the faceplate extended and terminated in a RJ 45 socket. What do you have at the BT Master socket?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

with presumably the filtered dsl output

typo ? surely you mean unfiltered ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hunter27
Dabbler

Perhaps it is the result of the wiring being extended. I will have to look into it when we are not looking after 2 grandchildren. Strange it has worked for years with the same DSL lead plugged into the Openreach modem though?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@hunter27 

Looking at the wiring I think we need a picture of the other end ie the Master scoket. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Whilst its not ideal, it does make sense in some circumstances. If the master socket is badly placed e.g not close to power, then a hard wired data extension is not a bad idea. You connect to the 'unfiltered' terminals at the master socket and terminate at an RJ11 faceplate, so that its obvious its a data socket not a phone socket. Provided you use decent cable, then its not a problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@Baldrick1 

saying the wiring is bodged is a bit strong, maybe non standard would be more helpful thing to say.

A DSL connection is only requires one pair (two wires) pins 3 and 4. So provided pins 4 and 5 are connected on the RJ45 socket then everything should work as RJ11 contacts align correctly with RJ45 socket.

What is puzzling is why moving the DSL cable from the modem to the DSL socket on the Hub One isn't working.

@hunter27 

you could try disconnecting the WAN cable and power cycling the Hub, when the b light flashes connect the DSL cable

HTH.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@hunter27  Forget about trying a filter anywhere it's not going to help, if the Openreach modem is working when connected to the socket shown in msg #16 that must be an unfiltered connection back to the master socket. The Hub1 should also work in that socket when connected there instead of the modem. It could be some odd cabling problem as suggested by @MisterW . Have you any other other RJ11 leads you could try? (with the small connectors that fit the modem and Hub1 DSL sockets)

@bmc I don't think investigating the source of the signal i.e. the master socket is going to help, as I said above there must be a VDSL2 signal at the socket where the Openreach modem is connected.

Baldrick1

@RealAleMadrid wrote:
....there must be a VDSL2 signal at the socket where the Openreach modem is connected.

I wonder if there is a cross over in this extension wiring, which the Plusnet hub doesn't like?

Moderator and Customer

hunter27
Dabbler

I have to leave the house now for the weekend, thanks for all the advice I will check the wiring when I get back and have probably got another DSL lead knocking around to substitute.

Thanks again.

Pete

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  I don't think it would make any difference as it's an AC signal. I have read that the incoming A & B phone connections can be swapped over and everything still works. It has to be something more subtle. All I can think of is as its a 2 pair cable there is an inner pair and an outer pair so the cables can be different. Some modems allow you to select the pair in use, don't think that applies to the HUB1,🤔

Baldrick1

@RealAleMadrid 

It may well be an AC signal but is it AC coupled into the modem, or are there common mode limitations on the modem input circuits? I understand that the A terminal is 'earthy',

Also we are not talking about the incoming connection being reversible, but the output of the filter.

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@hunter27 

regarding your issue, I have a Hub One connected to a PPPoE server via the WAN port.

I have found if the Hub is turned off and turned on with the WAN cable disconnected it still looks for the connection on the WAN port. So it could be the Hub configuration is sticky and will need a factory reset using a pin to resolve the issue

On power up while the Orange light is flashing it is detecting the connection source DSL or WAN. 

So to check your Hub connection source. Power up your Hub with no cables connected to the DSL or WAN port.

So with no connection detected you should get a solid Orange Light and a flashing b which means no broadband connection detected. The status will reflect the last used source (WAN or DSL)

http://192.168.1.254 Advanced Settings >Broadband >Connection. Depending on how the Hub auto sensed the connection either

Screenshot 2023-07-08 102445.png      Screenshot 2023-07-08 102232.png

Trying powering the HUB with a DSL cable is connected hopefully you will see DSL Line Status, however if it is still WAN Status it will be necessary to factory reset the device.

A factory setting of a Hub One assumes a DSL connection

Before performing a factory reset take a Backup and take some pictures of any setting you might need a record of.

Hope these steps help to resolve the issue.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have found if the Hub is turned off and turned on with the WAN cable disconnected it still looks for the connection on the WAN port. So it could be the Hub configuration is sticky and will need a factory reset using a pin to resolve the issue

@Dan_the_Van not sure about the Hub 1 but the Hub 2 just has a preference for a WAN connection. So it will check for an active Ethernet status on the WAN port. If that isnt there ( i.e disconnected ) then it should check for a DSL connection.