Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

Yep that seems to be the average price, I have noticed though that My Smart hub seems to reboot itself every 2 weeks, Similar to other BT Hubs when you read on other forums. Does not cause any problems and line stays same.

UKAlfie

I have followed all instructions carefully but still cannot get on line with my BTHomehub6. As soon as the Ethernet cable is connected the message 'no internet connection' comes up. I have just switched from BT but do they have a way of turning off the router? Help would be much appreciated.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Follow KelvinGB1  Instructions on page 1 and look at my post page 2 all should work if you have an internet connection with plusnet.

The router will not be switched off by BT, do a Hard reset first with the BT Smart Hub

and remember to switch off  smart set up first when you have gained  access to the smart hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-setti...

when you start the set up and go to the advanced settings/Broadband/Internet and the buttons at the top of the page may show Connect and Back (Instead of Disconnect and Back) if so  then just alter the bt username shown by typing  in your username@plusdsl.net and your plusnet password  in the Broadband and username boxes, and press the connect tab. 

in my image here it shows Disconnect and back  (As I am already connected)

fletpablo
Grafter

hi 

tried to connect to new BT hub all to no aval asked me my admin password which i thought was correct

could not make no internet connection from hub can you please go to step by step again  

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

The admin password is that shown on your BT Smart Hub, until/ Unless  you change it.

I am sorry but, Reboot, and then follow the instructions,  previously given for a BT Hub. if you can not do that then unfortunately you are not going to win with a BT smart hub and will have have the Plusnet router.

However a BT Smart hub does work with plusnet if you understand what you are doing.

fletpablo
Grafter

re  its quite obvious i am not doing correct  procedure  

there seems to be orange  light all  the time i have gone to 192.168.1.254

tried to turn off smart hub asks me admin password i have entered admin password which is on back of BT Router admin password for hub manger it still does not work have re booted  the unit have purchased is brand new unit from E bay   i have fibre and this  unit is correct unit the A unit with 4 connection any help i would appetite 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

If you have re booted, and then connected and switched off Smart set up as advised. Then put in your plus net account ie,

(usernername)@plusdsl.net

then your plusnet password, then select connect

I cant help you more than that

It looks that you have not rebooted the router correctly.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-setti...

All this is for FTTC.

If you have FTTH connection then you will need the special BT Smart Hub with a red /or labelled ethernet connection . See my post regarding different routers.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/4774269/1466063702/redirect/1/filename/BT%20Smart%20Hub...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-and-bt-infinity-...

fletpablo
Grafter

Re BT router 

It does seem that i only  have yellow ethernet connection supplied  it seems to work on plusnet fibre so i have to purchase the red ethernet  cable cable is that what your advising   

fletpablo
Grafter

re i believe i have fttc fibre to cabinet so i dont need red connection  

fletpablo
Grafter

re bt Hub can i make things  clear i have to re boot the unit i gather  smart set up turn off at moment i can't get past admin password on smart set up can you inform me if on the following 

1/bt hub smart set  up on orange light as i have no connection do i have to try to get blue light by re boot or am i expected to set up with no connection 

2/ can you make it clearer to where you put user name and password as it might be clear for you but not for me a laymen

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

From a layman also, I hope this will help you set up a BT Smart Hub (FTTC)  with pictures in the attachments.

Completely Hard reset the router as shown here to factory settings

(You have to keep the reset pin in for a considerable amount of time. 25-30secs or more)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWX4pd_BbHU

and

Once reset,

Switch on router and if connecting using an ethernet cable as per instructions inside the BT Smart Hub box Making sure you have your telephone line also plugged in to it

waiting a few minutes for the hub to start The hub will  flash Purple, or Steady Orange  type in  192.168.1.254 into your browser and the BT smart hub Home Manager set up page appears. (1) see attachment.

select smart set up and it will ask for the admin password (2)  see attachment

The admin password is the last set of information on the settings tab on  the rear of your BT Smart Hub

(If you have reset to factory setting correctly, enter the admin password for the hub manager shown on the rear of your BT smart hub .(3)  Select Smart set up to OFF and select the SAVE tab at top of page. (4) and press the back tab.

You will go back to the Main BT Smart hub manager page  Select  the Advanced Settings Tab (5)

then  Broadband/Internet/VPN/Dynamic DNS tab. (6)

(7) Here enter your plusnet username  (in the format )    yourusername@plusdsl.net  (Remember to add  @plusdsl.net )  with no spaces then enter your Plusnet password in the box underneath.. Then select connect at top of page. 

This should connect you to plusnet and your BT Smart Hub will display a Blue Light.

(Remember your Plusnet username and password  is the same as the name you use to log in to Plusnet Customer Login  portal page for your Member Centre)

(If a bt username is shown as in my attachment just delete it in the normal way and enter yours) remembering to add @plusdsl.net  immediately after your plusnet username with no spaces.  And your plusnet password below and select the Connect tab at top of page.  

If when on this page (7)  The top of the page shows as connected to internet  then select the disconnect tab, then enter your plusnet username as advised. You are unable to alter the username or password shown, whilst this page shows connected.

You can now  alter the wireless settings to your preference and change the passwords etc if you wish Altering to separate bands etc. see attachment 8  and

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hu...

also see

Message 1

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/thread-id/306720/page/1

and Message 20

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/thread-id/306720/page/2

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Post released from the spam filter and subsequent near-duplicate post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

@fletpablo wrote:

Re BT router 

It does seem that i only  have yellow ethernet connection supplied  it seems to work on plusnet fibre so i have to purchase the red ethernet  cable cable is that what your advising   

No - not if you have FTTC

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

@fletpablo wrote:

re i believe i have fttc fibre to cabinet so i dont need red connection  

No you are fine with the all yellow ethernet  type if you have FTTC

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

@fletpablo wrote:

re bt Hub can i make things  clear i have to re boot the unit i gather  smart set up turn off at moment i can't get past admin password on smart set up can you inform me if on the following 

1/bt hub smart set  up on orange light as i have no connection do i have to try to get blue light by re boot or am i expected to set up with no connection 

2/ can you make it clearer to where you put user name and password as it might be clear for you but not for me a laymen

See my message   41 above, Hopefully this will get your BT Smart hub working with Plusnet