cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative router/modem

grsmto

Alternative router/modem

Hi,

I just received my Plusnet ADSL modem Sagemcom 2704n and I saw it was a crappy modem/router, not supporting 5ghz, no QoS, etc.

So, I am looking for an alternative router/modem to replace it, I am quite noob in network so I'm not too sure if I need a separate modem and router (2 devices) or something that does both at the same time.
From what I understood after my research, an option would be to use the 2704n as just a modem and plug it to a router.

Basically I'm looking for a very basic internet usage at home and my only goal is to be able to play video games while someone else watches Netflix without me having 600 ping (bufferbloat...).

What do you reckon is my best option?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Alternative router/modem

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Alternative router/modem

@grsmto Welcome to the forum. The Plusney Hub Zero suffers badly from buffer bloat so hopefully that is the cause of your pronlem and not simply the limited ADSL speed.

A good budget combined modem/router that works on both ADSL and fibre is a BT Smarthub 6. These can be bought for about £20 on an auction site such as Rbay.

Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'