cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All WiFi slowed, stopped or would not connect.

FIXED
Jonb1
Fixes: 1

All WiFi slowed, stopped or would not connect.

My WiFi is now thankfully working again, but just over a week ago everything slowed and stopped for the day.  All safety measures have been taken and Plusnet is keeping an eye on my router for any unusual behaviour.  I changed the channels to see if that would solve it but no luck. Plusnet have been really helpful.  I was wondering if anyone has any theory that would help me if it ever happens again.

I have fibre broadband but not full fibre and a hub2 router.  I’ve had Plusnet with various hubs for 20 odd years and it’s always been solid.  This hub2 has been faultless.

I checked with Plusnet and they said there was nothing wrong with the router and the down detector showed nothing. 
I have two other independent wifi systems on apparatus I could take up the Himalayas and they would work with my tablet. They both could not be found and would not connect when I tried them. (They work independently of the router).

When I moved from the front of the house to the rear I got a weak signal  and tried to renew the app for my portable wifi apparatus but had to move to another part of the house for it to work because the WiFi kept switching off on the tablet. I tried my phone and other tablet with the same result. Anyway the refreshed app still did not connect, even at the rear of the house.

I checked with my immediate neighbours and their WiFi was fine.

I can understand my router wifi going down for the first time but not my other independent wifi systems as well.

I had to reinstall apps and reset all my equipment to get them working again once my signal came back.

I’d be grateful if any one has an idea how this can be prevented in future.

4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

Re: All WiFi slowed, stopped or would not connect.

Hi @Jonb1 welcome to the forum.

When you said your Wifi was down do you actually mean you lost connection to the internet for all devices connected to the Hub?

Did you recall what the colour the the Hub's light was during your issue?

Jonb1

Morning.  Thanks for the welcome.

As I recall the router was still its normal blue colour.  I seem to remember the wired connections from the hub still worked.  It was the wireless signal that weakened and stopped.

Many thanks.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

Sometimes wireless channels can get congested due to the number of routers using the same channels, did you see the issue for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands? Having one wireless name can hide which network you're device is connected to, the Hub's Home >My network will provide that answer.

5GHz signal does not have the same range as 2.4GHz and at distance from router the speed will slow down. Some devices do not switch to 2.4GHz when signal gets weak.

If you have an Android device you could use a Wi-Fi Analyser and check to see if the channel you Hub is using has many wireless names on that that channel, this is best used at the point where the device is located rather than the hub.

To check the current channels you hub is using from the Hubs home page >Advanced Settings >Wireless. To make changes you need to click on the field and you'll prompted for the password.

However this does not explain why other independent wireless points gave you the same issue and having to reinstall apps is strange

If the issue occurs again I would look to check using a WiFi Analyser to see if the signals are weaker than normal around the house.

Jonb1

Fix

Morning 

Thanks for your help.   Yes the problem was on both bands.  Checking the router channels nothing looked odd and I did change them but changed them back when that didn’t work.

A wifi analyser looks like the way to go.  

Much appreciated.