Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from John Lewis to PN 100%

jontysoper
Grafter

Transition from John Lewis to PN 100%

Evening all.

As a humble user, I'm in the midst of migrating over from JL to PN 100%.  Happy with speeds and service, etc., I have no need or desire to look elsewhere.  But have opted for the Fibre Extra this time Smiley

My 'transfer' was scheduled for 02.11, but nothing happened.  Yesterday (03.11), my phone service transferred - being advised my Broadband would shortly follow.  It didn't and so far today hasn't.

Tomorrow, I might re-programme my router with my new log-in to see if that does or triggers anything.  Was just curious if anyone knew this is a common thing, or I just need to wait.  I'm in no rush.  I also use my own router, i.e. not the one from JL.  PN's is still in its box.

Best,

Jonty.

13 REPLIES 13
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Transition from John Lewis to PN 100%

You are the first person that I remember asking so you are the forum guinea pig I'm afraid.

(Only seen 1 post here to date about JL to PN transfer which was a total screw up, hopefully the exception)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jontysoper
Grafter

Good morning, and thanks SLT.

As it happens, my transfer was completed at 23:10 last night.  Seems it was a good idea to post here and tempt fate per se Wink

I seem to still be on the slower JL speed versus the faster one I opted for but appreciate it may take a few days to kick-in or adjust.  I wouldn't expect it to take the 2 weeks to bed-in and settle down as I'm simply still on the slower offering.  But this is trivial - I'm on and in! Smiley

Jonty.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@jontysoper 

Glad it changed over for you but I really wonder if the speed thing will resolve itself or if it hasn't been upgraded

(Plusnet back office systems are not the best).

Look at your routers stats pages and see if the DSL values have changed. If not and they are still reporting the 40/10Mbps then it would seem to be the same slower package so you'd want to get a staff member onto it.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jontysoper
Grafter

Transferred from John Lewis to PN 100% but wrong fibre package?

Good morning.

Last night my transfer from John Lewis (PN) to PN 100% was completed - and this morning I've programmed my router with the new log-in and I'm online Smiley

But could I please ask one of the friendly support folk to double-check I've also been bumped up to the faster speed?  I opted to upgrade to Fibre Extra as part of my transfer, but it seems I'm still on the slower, standard setup.

I'm not assuming this route for help is ideal (it's also the weekend) so will call it in next week sometime if necessary.

Cheers!

Jonty.

jontysoper
Grafter

Thanks SLT.

My upstream and downstream rates haven't changed - and the max rates have always told me I could have higher.  I'll call this in next week to have it checked.  Have also added a cheeky post in case a support member sees it and can do anything.

Appreciate the assist Smiley

Moderators Note

'Cheeky post' added to this thread. Double/cross posting is against the Forum rules

jontysoper
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Confused as to why my two threads have been merged.  This, original thread was regarding my transfer which didn't appear to be happening.  My second was separate - about being on the slower service when I've opted for the faster Fibre Extra.  That thread was only intended to catch the eye of a PN staff member who could possibly check (I'd spied a similar thread).

Apologies if my reference to 'cheeky post' suggested I knew I was breaking forum rules.  It wasn't, rather me being somewhat lazy in trying to avoid a possible call to Customer Services next week.  Two matters, two posts.

Regards, Jonty.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@jontysoper 

The two issues are associated with the same order, hence the merging.

What you may not know is that the transfer from JLB to Plusnet is an internal Plusnet change. The change from the 40/10 to 80/20 service requires Openreach intervention. These two changes are part of the same order, but might not happen concurrently.

Making this one query helps Plusnet staffers to handle it more efficiently.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@jontysoper - just taken a look at your account and I'm under the impression that things are in the proces of being sorted?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jontysoper
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen,

Thanks for the message - and I think so, not sure?

Spoke with a great chap yesterday, who could see the Openreach part of things had been overlooked - and so submitted a job to have this corrected (and would let me know an ETA).  But not longer after, got a message to say 'done' and should be seeing the new speeds.  As I said to him, I'm in no rush and as of last night was still on a 10/40 setup (left the hardware off for a while too).

I was just going to leave it a couple of days and peek again.  But if there's anything you can see that would help.  As long as I get bumped up at some stage that's fine.  The extra speed is just a nice to have Smiley

Cheers, Jonty.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Both the account and the Openreach part look OK Jonty.

That said, your hub is connected at a slightly slower rate than I would expect given your estimate: -

Downstream Speed 59.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 14.4 Mbps

Not definitely indicative of a problem but worth keeping an eye on.

Also worth ensuring that your hub is connected directly to your primary/master socket.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jontysoper
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen,

Thanks for checking - really much appreciated.

I'll check again this evening.  Last night, PN's suggested speed test tool was still giving me downstream results in the 30s and uploads in the 9s.  This is what I had previously when underneath JL's umbrella and after yesterday's Openreach work/confirmation.

I'm currently using my own router, and it's directly connected to the master socket.  It's always shown my current offering of 10/40 plus my max possible, which has always been around the 15,000kbps/65,000kbps.

Interesting (positive I mean) that you can see my router connected at the 15/60 regions.  I'll check and test some more along with PN's router and another spare I have.

Will report back soon either way Smiley

Cheers!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

If the router is SYNC'd at 65/15 (not to be confused with the max speed estimate) and your data speed results are in the 30s then you need to look elsewhere than the line sync speed.

Are those speed tests over an ethernet connected devices with the devices Wi-Fi interface turned off?  Just because there is an ethernet cable connected, does not mean that the ethernet connection is being used out of preference, if Wi-Fi is still operative.

Which speed tester?  Have you tried the Think Broadband speed tester?

Can you be sure that there is nothing else on the network soaking the connection (think updates / cloud storage syncs).

What do the line error counts look like?

Is the router connected direct to the master socket?  Are there any telephone extensions?  Have you listened to the line for noise?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jontysoper
Grafter

Evening!

Wasn't able to report back yesterday evening, but when I got home and checked, the Openreach work must have kicked-in during the night or yesterday itself - hence why higher figures could be seen.  And I could see them too, with my router telling me I had c. 60 downstream and c. 14 up.  Using PN's suggested BT speed test tool, results effectively concurred this.

Big thanks to all who offered help and assistance.  Very grateful! Smiley

Jonty.