cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My neighbour can get full fibre but I can't.

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

Re: My neighbour can get full fibre but I can't.

The property sits about 300m from the road and hence telegraph pole. 

House was build in 2014 and copper wire just buried about 25cm without ducting. We had about 100m of it ducted a few years ago after we broke the line installing electrics outside hence the remaining 190m needed to be ducted to the pole.

Vodafone claimed this in a call yesterday - I assume to wriggle out of having to pay any compensation.

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

Built in 2014 and partially ducted. 

Im hoping to get the builder out in the next week or two depending on availability.

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

This is almost exactly the case. 

It perplexed vodafone initially as they queried why I was paying to have the ducting installed.

From my discussions with openreach, in cases where significant distance from pole to property exists, they supply the material and let you "get it done cheaply" 

It doesn't seem as this information is shared with vodafone which slightly irked me.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

I would imagine that OR are going to want to see the ducting complete before they will issue a KCI2 (confirmed install date) for the new order.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

"I would imagine that OR are going to want to see the ducting complete before they will issue a KCI2 (confirmed install date) for the new order."

I set the install date for the end of the month. Hopefully by the time they even come out to survey the duct should be installed and ready to go.

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

Perhaps I did speak too soon. Just received this message earlier - 

"Dear Mr Ward,

I tried to call you today but there was no answer.

Openreach have advised that they can only provide FTTP to your property if the additional infrastructure needed outside of a usual install is paid for by yourself.

The breakdown of this is as below.

Survey = 298.76
Duct x 190m = 5684.80
Joint box = 228.34
Other = 1000
Total before VAT = 7211.90
Total after VAT = 8,654.28

We are sorry to have to advise that at this point in time that we cannot progress your order without this payment. Can you please contact us at your convivence so we can discuss alternative options.

You can contact us by call us on 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200.

Kind regards,

Rob Clayton"

It looks like this must be a holdover from the previous order that fell through from Vodafone.

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

Interesting development - I fear I opened a can of worms by divulging that openreach offered me to install the ducting myself.

Plusnet now saying they have to stand over the work and would require payment for works - even though I have the ducting and joint box siting at the bottom of the lane!

Chrisw5057
Dabbler

In the hopes that someone sees this, in the end I had to cancel the order.

Plusnet insisted I pay the full charge for the ECC and that was something I was not willing to do. 

A pretty damning indictment of "honesty is the best policy" as if I had kept my mouth closed this all would have been resolved.

I'll get the work done and move to another service provider.