cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by paperwork - Fibre vs Fibre 74?

FIXED
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Confused by paperwork - Fibre vs Fibre 74?

Or not to close it off, more confusing "paperwork" today - actually an email, from Plusnet of course "About your broadband speed

Hello *******

Account Username: ***********

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range. Now that your Fibre broadband has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated peak time speeds:
Download: 49Mb
Upload: 5 - 7Mb
These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.
Current line speed: 80Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 31.9Mb
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where does the 80Mb come from (I can guess)? As noted above my ACTUAL connection speed is typically 62/12Mbps. 🤔

Another broken IT system?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@HPsauce  The not so obvious answer is that "Current Line Speed" is a complete misnomer, it is not a speed at all. It is a legacy Plusnet speed profile that is supposed to track the BT Wholesale IP profile, yours appears to be stuck at the maximum. For most customers it has no effect but for those with Static WAN IP addresses or have the Plusnet Firewall active it will act as a speed cap on the service.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's all quite amusing really, though I expect anyone who isn't that IT-literate would find it very confusing.

Looking just a download speeds:

Product ordered: Fibre (i.e. FTTC/SOGEA maximum capability 80Mbps?)

Product confirmed: Fibre 74 (so what does the 74 mean here, is it a maximum download speed in Mbps?)

Estimated peak time Download speed: 49Mb, Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 31.9Mb (fair enough, my cabinet is 1Km away)

Current Line Speed: 80Mb (confirmed by PN after 14 days live running, effectively meaningless)

Router download connection: 63Mbps (give or take a bit)

Typical download speed test: 56Mbps (very happy with that)

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@HPsauce wrote:

Maybe it is just PN rebranding the "Fibre" products as, I believe, there was a 40Mb limited product until recently, maybe still is for existing customers?

Yes, there is. Just re-contracted on that.