cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from ancient Technicolour TG582n Confused about Options

notstoopid
Hooked

Upgrading from ancient Technicolour TG582n Confused about Options

I'm posting here as I've called the customer service line twice (and they have been WONDERFUL, helpful and lovely) but I am finding it hard to keep all of the information straight in my head and just wanted to try and get some clarification in writing as I have a slightly complex situation.

I'm living with family temporarily and there is a Plusnet Technigcolour TG582n connection, on probably the lowest speed imaginable under my aunt's account. As far as I understand it is running through the phone line which is with BT, but the phone account is under my grandmother's name and paid separately by her.

I have started a remote job where I need to download and upload large video files and I need to upgrade but I don't want to a) leave my family with a larger than necessary monthly bill for internet they don't need when I move out later this year, and b) interfere with my grandmother's landline.

I thought I would be able to just get Plusnet's full fibre installed separately from the current connection and phone line, but customer service told me today that while that used to be possible, it isn't anymore. I have on my scrawled notes from a few days ago that if getting the full fibre installed, then I could KEEP the BT landline intact, but this seems to contradict what I was told today.

I'm just looking for clarification on my options because this gets confusing.

If I were to just upgrade the current (FTTC?) connection to higher speeds, would that interfere with the BT landline (by having to switch the phone line over to Plusnet)? I seem to remember customer service saying it would, but I don't understand exactly why, since there's already a broadband connection with Plusnet on a BT landline?

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or ideas on my best way forward I would be very appreciative, as I am currently unable to do the tasks necessary for my new job, and I really need this job.

Thanks so much

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Upgrading from ancient Technicolour TG582n Confused about Options

@notstoopid  Welcome to the Community forums.

1. You can not upgrade the current service without transferring the phone .
2. You can take out a totally new additional FTTP service to run alongside the current service, which can remain as is. However great care needs to be taken to ensure that this doesn’t get screwed up. Ideally you need one of the agents who access this forum to keep an eye on the order process and you carefully read every ticket hat gets added to your account during the process.

Note that the new FTTP service will have a minimum contract term and no phone or email services.

Moderator’s Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

To be clear, what Plusnet did before - offer broadband over a third party's phone line - they do no longer.  So as per the above, if you want to upgrade from ADSL to FTTC then the voice service needs to move as well.

FTTP as a distinct service to the same property is not an issue, but there is a two year commitment.

Have you looked at the existing ADSL service to see if it is running at the best possible speed for the line?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

notstoopid
Hooked

Thank you!

I was told that there is 1 free house move with the FTTP - so even if I take out a 2 year contract I could still take it with me to a new address, is that right?

Confused as to why the last customer service agent told me they couldn't install FTTP separately - something about avoiding issues with engineers coming out and trying to deal with 2 different lines or the likes - but I'll call again tomorrow and try to find out.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@notstoopid 

First thing to do is to check what's available at the property. Use the following

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you post a screen image (hiding your details) advice can be given on options. Your'e looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column for a full fibre service.

Brian

notstoopid
Hooked

Ah ok interesting, here are the screenshots:

Screenshot 2023-01-15 220815.pngScreenshot 2023-01-15 220830.png

So is this just for BT or FTTP in general?

Thanks for your help!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

There are a number of complexities which need to be managed with care.

Technical: There is no good reason why a property cannot (for the time being) have BOTH FTTP and a copper borne service.  In some places, local engineers have been ripping out the copper when installing (or to install) the FTTP fibre.  That need not happen.  An installation would need to be very clear about leaving the copper intact.

Commercial process: Upgrading an account from ADSL to FTTP will result in the loss the telephone number, even though it is with a third party.  There is no need for things to happen this way, but it is the B2B process Plusnet use with BTOR.

Ordering FTTP as a new customer (new account) with the clear instruction that the existing PHONE service is to be left in place is the safest way to protect the phone number.  There then needs to be a decision about terminating the ADLS service WITHOUT also ceasing the PTSN service provided by BT Retail.

Something to consider - when you move out and take the FTTP service with you, what is your relative going to do for internet access then?

You have not responded to the suggestion of ensuring that the ADSL service is optimal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

notstoopid
Hooked

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! A lot to consider and it seems like it's probably the more risky way of doing things. My original plan was if we could have left both connections intact then my other relative would still have her internet access even if I moved out and took the FTTP with me.

I have been on the phone with BT and decided to just get their full fibre installed and do away with the ADSL as it works out to about the same price that both relatives are paying for the phone + ADSL anyway and won't disrupt the phone number.

Good point about the ADSL possibly being able to reach higher speeds, I don't think I asked this on the phone but it was never suggested to me as a possibility/option so I assumed that it was already reaching its limit, which isn't too bad for basic downloads but abysmal for upload speeds (about 0.7mbps upload).

bmc
Hero

@notstoopid 

You've taken the plunge so this is for background.

The PSTN service is being withdrawn so something would have had to be done about the phone line eventually (2025 at the latest). It's being done on a gradualy basis and the Exchange you're on is one of the early adopters. As sufficient fibre lines are available it's got a Stop Sell order on new copper based services. Phone services will be provided on over VOIP in future.

The Stop Sell also means you can't upgrade any existing based copper services without a very good reason and your ISP would need to submit a manual order (computer systems automatically say No if a FTTP is available).

You would / should have been able to submit an order to PlusNet for a new account on FTTP without impacting the current service. However what would happen to this when you move is unclear. If your new property doesn't have FTTP I don't know how PlusNet would have handled things.

Brian

notstoopid
Hooked

Well I still have not finalised things yet as need to have final discussion with family but definitely leaning towards just doing it all through BT.

Yeah I read yesterday that BT will be phasing out the copper lines and moving everything over to digital voice by 2025.

Hm yeah it seemed like the order with Plusnet to get the separate FTTP was all fine and then the agent told me something popped up on her screen and had to go and check it, and then came back and basically said they can't offer it anymore because of previous issues. I guess I'm taking her word for it and just going to try and keep things simple with BT if it will cost around the same anyway and keep phone number as those are really the most important factors.

bmc
Hero

@notstoopid 

Have you checked the end of contract price. Your new deal may be a similar price to existing arrangments but that could change is 18 / 24 months time.

Your relatives will however got a far more stable line and better speeds (and WiFi) out of it.

Are there any termination charges on the PN internet account. If there are you may be able to get them waived by phoning PN and saying you want to move to BT to keep your phone number. If PN agree they put a note on your account and transfer to to a BT agent to plave the order (at least that's how it was in the past).

Brian