cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to pay thinking of leaving

emma301189

Struggling to pay thinking of leaving

I am late paying my bill I have 9 days to pay before I lose service, but I am considering leaving as my broadband is so slow and intermittent. I have discussed this with plusnet and when I changed some setting as advised it had improved but has now gone slow again. I ordered the fibre months ago and have received the box but they keep cancelling the appointment. I also have a sim with you and the signal is terrible indoors I have to go to a window or outside. They did say they wasn’t sending them person out to. Fit the new fibre because I was late on a bill so I paid it and no appointment was given and now the excuse will be that I’m late on this bill but I changed my pay date to the day I get paid and it’s never comes out it’s always late so I’m thinking I’ve paid the bill but i haven’t because it was late and I am not struggling to pay as I have a new baby and an 11 year old on my own it’s hard but I feel switching is going to be the best option so I dint have to go outside to use my phone or have intermittent service
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Struggling to pay thinking of leaving

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Struggling to pay thinking of leaving

Hi @emma301189 

I cannot see that leaving is going to fix any of your issues.  For both broadband and mobile Plusnet use the infrastructure of their suppliers, who sell the use of their infrastructure to other ISPs and virtual mobile operators.

If you mobile coverage is only good out doors, then it will be the same for any mobile operator using the EE network.  Do you have evidence / confidence that the other two networks (Vodaphone or O2) will be any better?  For EE coverage and network faults - look here EE Coverage & Network Status Checker | Check your signal

As for the broadband virtually everyone uses BT Openreach's network.  If there is a fault on the line, then that will follow you.  Your best course of action is to work with Plusnet to fix the issue.

Further, you cannot just walk away from your contract - you will face early termination charges if you are still within the minimum term.  Any thought that "if its not working then I cannot just walk" only becomes a consideration if after 30 days of trying, with the user's cooperation the minimum guaranteed speed cannot be supplied ONLY THEN can you leave without paying the exit fees.

Work with Plusnet here, follow the usual diagnostic methods and get an engineer out.  Though as you state, that might need bills to be paid on time.

Here are some starters...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket (ideally this should be a corded phone). The line should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below. NB: You need to put your LANDLINE NUMBER after "PHONE" [missing instruction].

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats (include line speed, attenuation, SNRM, uptime and if available, error counts); for PN routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics, download the .PDF report and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Check the Plusnet user portal for the "Current Line Speed" which is relevant to users with static IP addresses.

You could just run the automated fault testers for the phone line and broadband - see the links below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.