cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom 123 calls - Engineers working on the line?

mnhngeighty

Phantom 123 calls - Engineers working on the line?

Hi, I know this is a re-occuring topic, but after joining in March, I've received 14 "123" calls. 

After calling customer services, I managed to get a refund but he was unaware of why. It was to a point where my claim was not believed. 

A few google search results later, I found a which? article which calls out Plusnet and engineers calling 123 to test the line. 

https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/timeline-123-speaking-clock-call-charges-phone-bill/

So, Plusnet, what are you going to do as I am STILL getting bogus 123 calls?

1 REPLY 1
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Phantom 123 calls - Engineers working on the line?

Welcome to the forum.  🙂

@mnhngeighty wrote:

So, Plusnet, what are you going to do as I am STILL getting bogus 123 calls?

To be fair, it's something Plusnet have no control over - it's BTOR and their contractors (mainly the latter I suspect) who are doing this instead of following official methods of checking working lines when looking for spare pairs.

It's been going on for decades, but has only become apparent to customers since the introduction of itemised billing.

It's annoying for each individual who has to convince their ISP that they didn't make the calls, but there doesn't seem to be a willingness by the telecoms industry as a whole to do anything about it.

As you will have noted in the referenced Which? article, Openreach didn't even acknowledge that there is a problem.

198 (ex-BT)

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)