cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I tell if I'm on the best fibre/call package for me?

BertCoules
Grafter

How can I tell if I'm on the best fibre/call package for me?

My thanks for the move to a more appropriate forum.
Apologies for asking such a basic question but I'd be grateful for some guidance.  How can I check if my current fibre/call package is the best one for my needs?  I'm currently paying a monthly sub of £47.05, which seems slightly on the high side, especially considering that my usage of the landline phone is very low indeed.  Many thanks  for any help.
26 REPLIES 26
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How can I tell if I'm on the best fibre/call package for me?

Moved to Accounts as it is more generic than Home Phone
Without contacting Cancellations if you are out of contract the lowest cost one is Unlimited Fibre (up to 40Mbps) plus Line Rental Saver giving an effective monthly cost of £14.99 + £12.99 = £27.98
Or unlimited fibre extra (up to 80Mbps) for £5 extra
All the above assume that you on on a Market B exchange
If you are on a Market A exchange then you need to add £7.50 per month to each of those
BertCoules
Grafter

Oldjim, many thanks both for the move and the reply.  The package you mention certainly sounds interesting.  Would the Unlimited Fibre part of that package give me exactly the same performance as I'm currently getting?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea
It all depends on the speeds you are getting now as the maximum downstream speed is limited to 40Mbps otherwise there is no difference
Note the price difference if you are on a Market A exchange
BertCoules
Grafter

Ah, that is a lower figure than I'm currently enjoying.  But I'll look into it, and other packages as well.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi BertCoules,
I recommend contacting our Customer Options Team and seeing what they can offer.
It seems that you're out of contract, but we could definitely look into sorting out some kind of cheaper deal for you.
They're available on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197, and there's no queue at the moment.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
BertCoules
Grafter

Matty, belated thanks for that.  Looking at the packages available it appears that I'm on the only one which gives the speed I'm currently getting, Unlimited Fibre Extra, and I wouldn't want to go for anything less, but I'll do as you suggest and talk about the options.  I'm certainly paying considerably more than the basic cost of £35.94 and I'm not clear on what the additional monthly sum is actually buying me.
Incidentally, I've just been looking on the site for the hours when the Customer Options Team is available and I've had no success whatsoever.  If the information is there it must be well hidden.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is under contact us at the bottom of this page but is called cancellations
    0800 013 2632
    0330 123 9197
    Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays)
    Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm
Given the amount you are paying are you on a Market 1 or Market A exchange - this will tell you http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
BertCoules
Grafter

Jim, thanks for that.  This is the information from the exchange status site:
Market: 3
Mkt2014: B
20CN VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Colour: Green BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN

Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case I have no idea why you are paying so much - it will be interesting to see what you get offered
BertCoules
Grafter

I just tried the Customer Support number.  The reported waiting time is currently "about thirty minutes", so I think I'll try again later...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I find that about 9.00am or just after works best
BertCoules
Grafter

I just tried again and got the same message: "our current wait times are approaching thirty minutes".  Thanks for the 9am tip.
BertCoules
Grafter

It's 9:05 and I just tried again.  Waiting time is now fifteen minutes!  And the muzak is horrible.
BertCoules
Grafter

Well, that was interesting.  I finally got through and spoke to a helpful and pleasant young lady who looked into the charges.  It seems that I pay £5 per month for a particular call plan, £4 for a service that blocks incoming anonymous calls, and 99p to enable caller ID.  These extras push my monthly payment up to the sum it is.
I was told that various new discounts are available which will knock about £10 off the monthly cost, but only if I commit to a new eighteen month contract.  I couldn't opt for that today, but she gave me a direct line number to Customer Options ("But they'll say they're Cancellations") that I can ring tomorrow.
I don't know.  I might look around and do some comparisons.