cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Just arrived in my area but I have 19 months left on PN.

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

FTTP Just arrived in my area but I have 19 months left on PN.

I am in a predicament at the moment, Road was dug up a year ago for FTTP. My contract came to a end 11/12/23, so to avoid out of contract price i signed up to 20 months with PN due to no one offering FTTP. So today I received a ISP offering me 900mb for £3 more then what im paying now to PN for 40mb.

So that's 22 x times faster speed for £3. I immediately went to bt checker to see if FTTP was active so I can upgrade with PN. but nothing available.

So if im right i have to calculate my monthly fee and multiply that by 19 months to get out of this contract?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks 

19 REPLIES 19
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: FTTP Just arrived in my area but I have 19 months left on PN.

@Faizan786  It looks like you have a Altnet FTTP provider, so not Openreach and therefore not available via Plusnet so if you leave Plusnet you will have to pay early termination fees.

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

So if im right i have to calculate my monthly fee and multiply that by 19 months to get out of this contract?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Faizan786 

Who made the offer?

I believe you have to phone in to Support to get a early cancellation fee figure.

As an aside I would suggest you don't need 900mb down unless you are (or plan to be) a very heavy user. A lower speed might work out costing less than you currently pay.

Brian

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

Im currently paying £23 for 40mb.

Been offered £25 for £900mb.

We've struggled to download Playstation games with current speed as it was only option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you are on a 20 month contract ?,  I thought Plusnet only did 24, 18, and 12 month contracts

Faizan786
Aspiring Pro

Yes on 20 month contract showing 19 months left. If only my previous contract ran out in 2024 I would have jumped to FTTP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Homer Doh.gif

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Faizan786 

"So if im right i have to calculate my monthly fee and multiply that by 19 months to get out of this contract?"

AFAIK, you will get a small discount because you will have to pay up front, ie Plusnet will get their money early ratehr than in 19 monthly instalments. Also, I think that you will get a bit more off to cover Plusnet no longer having to provide you service.

If you call them, they will calculate the exact figure for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Faizan786  - another way to perceive your predicament !

Rather than paying off your Plusnet contract and receive nothing in return for your money,

have you considered keeping your Plusnet contract until it expires AND having the alt-net FTTP installed (perhaps at a lower speed and lower cost tier), and swapping your home router for a dual-WAN router model that supports load balancing ?

That way, your home LAN can use the combined bandwidth of two internet connections, you double the reliability of your external internet connection as the load-balancing will seamlessly use whichever connection is working, and you're not throwing away your money for nothing to pay off Plusnet.

Just an idea.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Or you could think about why you need such a huge increase in speed and ask yourself whether upgrading to Full fibre now rather than in 19 months is worth circa £400.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Faizan786 wrote:

Im currently paying £23 for 40mb.

Been offered £25 for £900mb.

Be very careful to read the alt-net small print on pricing AFTER the introductory period.

I was offered a similar alt-net FTTP 900mb package,  but hidden deep in the T&Cs after the initial contract period the monthly cost went to £79.99 !

I chose to stay on VDSL SoGEA, and optimise my speeds with a better modem, and a router with QoS to minimise latency.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Anonymous 

"Be very careful to read the alt-net small print on pricing AFTER the introductory period."

Also, the annual price increase might be based on a higher figure:

About a year ago I was offered 900MB FTTP via an AltNet ISP for £30 per month. This was presented as a normal price of £60 per month, with a discount of £30.

When I delved deeper, it became apparent that the annual CPI +3.9% increase was applied to the £60 price, and then the £30 discount was applied.

In numbers, (I think that the increase generally was 14.9% ?):

A base price of £30/month would have increased by £4.47. to £34.47

With this £60/month base price, it would have increased by £8.94, to £68.94, less £30 discount = £38.94

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Not all altnets follow the annual CPI+3.9% trend - I moved to Gigaclear and for new 18 month contracts they only apply one increase, and it was a smaller %ge.

Also when you recontract you don't pay the out-of contract price anyway (similar to Plusnet).

Since Plusnet do apply the annual CPI+3.9% increase, the altnet price after the fixed term may still be competitive - and you have a faster connection.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I can remember when PN didn't jump on the 'out of contract' price bandwagon, i.e. when your contract ended you carried on with the same price.