Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN mobile data

FIXED
SmegForBrains
Fixes: 1

VPN mobile data

Hi. I run a VPN on my android phone and have the following issue. I can connect to Wifi through the VPN no problem and if I then move out of wifi range, network protection via VPN becomes activated. However if I try to activate the VPN whilst connected to mobile data it always fails. It always worked with my previous provider (EE) so not sure what the issue is. There is some suggestion that unblocking adult content will allow the VPN to function with mobile data, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Does plusnet actively block VPN usage or refuse to support it. If this is the case I will be moving on as I cannot fathom why a provider would block a customers attempts to improve their security and privacy. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
SmegForBrains

Re: VPN mobile data

Fix
Seems like this is solved. It would appear that Plusnet's adult content blocker was stopping the VPN connection. Now that is switched off (courtesy of their very efficient support staff. Thanks BTW) all seems to be functioning correctly. This is probably a useful short thread for anyone else wishing to run their data connection through a VPN. Cheers.
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I had an oddity when I was away last Winter using a local hotel wifi and as I did not have any VPN setup at the time and not wanting to use the hotel wifi to do so I linked my laptop to PN via my phone and tried to download a VPN providers software and PN blocked the download.

I switched to a 3 network sim I just happened to have handy and the software downloaded.

Now with the VPN fully loaded on my laptop I reconnected to PN through my newly installed VPN and everything worked fine.

So strange that PN would not allow me to download the software but allows me to use the software.

BTW adult content is still blocked on my sim.

SmegForBrains

Obviously some strange alchemy going on though I have limited understanding of connection protocols. I never tried running the VPN through a tethered phone, but obviously that works. I am running a vpn direct from my mobile and it wouldn't connect via mobile data unless I was connected to wifi first and then transitioned. I only thought of the content block because another thread here mentioned that VPN sites were blocked by it (as you discovered). As soon as the content block was removed my VPN started to function correctly. VPN service support staff were puzzled by this behaviour so I thought it may be a network thing. Hence here I am. Unless there was some unusual synchronicity going on whereby the correct functioning of my VPN simply correlated with the block removal. I guess I'll never know unless someone from PN elucidates. ?