Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Roaming Charges

Mazearith1

Unexpected Roaming Charges

Hi,

We have recently returned from Turkey.

Before leaving the UK I switched off Mobile Data.

I see on my bill i have been charged £2.18.

I did not make any calls or send text I used the hotels wify.

I have an I phone XR.

What did I do wrong?

Maz.

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Unexpected Roaming Charges

The problem is that, when booting up, or connecting to the network, often a small amount of data is used before the phone 'sees' the Mobile Data off setting.

These small amounts are normally not noticeable, however when roaming in a destination like Turkey where the charge is £6/MB it doesnt take a lot to get to your £2.18!

There's not much you can do other than remove the SIM card

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Mazearith1, I’m so sorry for how long it’s taken to get back to you! We’re quite busy right now, so it’s taking a longer than we’d usually like to get back to customers. 

I'm sorry that you've had an unexpected data charge after travelling in Turkey. It's likely that your phone briefly connected to the network, as @MisterW has mentioned. If you send me your full name and your mobile number over on a private message I can have a look into this and confirm exactly what's happened here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mazearith1

Hi Emily,  Thanks for getting back to me.  When I click the private message button I get "access denied message" Maz

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah sorry about that Maz. I believe the criteria to send a private message is three posts, but in addition you need to have been logged in twice or more and have been logged in for at least 10 minutes. You might need to stay logged in a little bit longer or put another comment on this thread in order for it to let you private message me.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mazearith1

My husband who has the same phone as myself but is on O2 only got charged 0.11p for the 12 days. He also had mobile data switched off and used the hotel wify just like me.

Mazearith1

So I can understand  @MisterW comments for my husbands phone but not mine.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for confirming that and I appreciate the disappointment caused, particularly as your husband's provider haven't charged as much. As @MisterW mentioned, the charge is £6 per MB when roaming in Turkey so it's likely that a small amount of data was used due to your handset briefly connecting and this would account for the charge. If you send me the requested details over on a private message I can have a look into this for you.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team