cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

FIXED
kenknight

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

Is there any update on this issue?  I was in Denmark and Norway a couple of weeks ago (at the end of May 2022) and at best I got 3G and most of the time Edge, which meant that data services were basically unusable.

My number originally came from Vodafone 07464, but previously I was with EE and everything worked perfectly.

I am away abroad again in August and am seriously considering moving off PlusNet unless this issue is resolved.

Tags (1)
hokers
Dabbler

Hi LaurenB

Could you let us know if this is raised as a bug and if so, what priority it currently has? (understand if you may not be able to tell us on a public forum)

As a bug once a priority is assigned should be able to be allocated to a release - but if the teams are still working on information-gathering, we can potentially help if any more info is needed?

If you can give us some timescales to fix it you will prevent customers from churning away to another provider. Plenty of people complaining about this on Twitter as well.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

We've raised an incident (ref: INC000001180539) and it's with the networks team, but to investigate further they're needing to see accounts which are currently roaming abroad (as well as being affected by this issue). 

If you're overseas and can't get 4G, can you drop me a private message with your mobile number and country you're in? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rishmiester

Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue. Plusnet works great otherwise. Was in France and Belgium, and was absolutely fine with 4G. Literally the instant I crossed the border to NL and the phone switched to the KPN NL network, mid video call everything stopped and I only have ‘E’ showing instead of ‘4G’. Tried restarting several times, unable to select any other networks (just shows no service). Interestingly texts and voice calls still work. And the other phone I’m using which I’m typing this on, is managing to roam fine on the KPN NL network with full 4G, so it definitely isn’t a NL network issue.

Posting to unlock ability to PM
Rishmiester

Message to unlock PM - et voila
Rishmiester

Have messaged Gandalf. I hope this issue gets sorted asap.
Rishmiester

Any update today @Gandalf ?

Issue is rather debilitating, internet and data is almost more important than calls and messages these days!
Rishmiester

Update from my side: my sibling has Plusnet too, but somehow he was able to at least access 3G from T Mobile NL, which his identical iPhone se 2020 automatically allocated to him. I then decided to try switching my network manually to T mobile NL. No service, but I just left it on and forgot about it. To my surprise, it had eventually connected and I have 3G data now! Funny thing is, his phone automatically disconnected him from T-Mobile nl and put him on KPN NL, and he went on G/2G haha. Am trying to manually put him on the network which works again, will post with results later. So it seems the issue only affects some networks in some countries (!!)
Rishmiester

Update 2: reassigning the network worked for my sibling too. It did take ages for it to work though, but this seems to be the only thing that does. So solution was to manually choose another network, and wait a while for the ‘no service’ to actually resolve.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Rishmiester 

Might be worth looking at the two original number owners for your and tour sibling's numbers.

Where did your number come from?

It might help to profile this issue by knowing the original network owner for your phone number. You can find the range holder for your phone number here - UK Phone Number Range Holders

I think @Gandalf is off this weekend.  Therefore forum cover might be intermittent over the weekend.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smart

Ah, that's an interesting one, thanks for the link @Townman:
My daughter's number, which works perfectly on 4g every time we visit Germany, starts with 07367, which shows it's valid from 22-feb-2017 and the range holder is 'Hutchison 3G UK Ltd'.
My phone number, starting with 07981 and not working on 4g at all in Germany, shows it's valid from 03-sep-2003 and the range holder is 'EE Limited ( TM)'.
Is that the issue?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I do not know. When you’ve eliminated the logical possibilities there are only illogical ones to consider. I know nothing for sure, but I *personally* suspect that network routing related to original range holders has the potential to be a factor here. Though numbers might be ported their original holder still has a “finger in the routing”.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

martin2345uk
Dabbler

Apparently my number is valid from 8th August 2002 and the Range holder is Vodafone UK

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I suspect that the "valid from" date is nothing more than the date when that range was allocated to the range holder.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

@smart, are you in Germany now? If so, could you PM me your mobile number? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet