Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

FIXED
Riant
Hooked

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

Hi @Townman, Yes, we're both on the same deal (different accounts) and switched at the same time earlier this year, both previously on Sky Mobile contracts (linked to the same account). We'd still be with Sky if O2 had half decent signal in some of the areas we regularly frequent, I like their data piggybank which would have worked well for us. Before a year on Sky both numbers were on PlusNet for probably 5 years.

I believe my wife's number was originally O2 (and I think was O2 up until the first switch to Plusnet). My number was originally BT Cellnet(!) before going through Three then T Mobile (I think in that order) before we switched both numbers across to PlusNet at the same time. 

1. You and your wife each have a Plusnet SIM on the SAME product offering? 
    • Yes - moved across the same day to the same deal (we're PlusNet broadband customers as well
  2. You could not access the 4G network in countries which no longer have a 3G network?
    • That is my understanding. In Germany I was definitely on O2 2g, with my wife on O2 4g. I drove out from Calais to Berlin in a day by myself to meet her and wasn't paying too much attention until in Germany when I realised the active data sim was my work one still (dual sim phone). Switching it to Plusnet was when I realised something wasn't right. On the way back I attempted and failed to get anything decent all the way from Berlin through to France (including brief stints in the Netherlands and Brussels - I know as a stack of notifications came through late when I hooked up to WiFi at EuroTunnel). When in France it would only connect to the Orange f 3g.
  3. Your wife had no issues throughout your journey?
    • My wife started her journey separately but had been through a number of countries and then was in Poland for a week for work before we met in Berlin. She had some issues for a short time whilst on an international train across from Poland to Germany but these sorted themselves out with a reboot and I suspect were just due to a lack of signal on the train whilst in a more remote part and changing countries. Other than that she was fine the whole time.
  4. You swapped the SIMs between the two phones and the issue followed the SIM - that is this does not look like a handset issue (are the handsets the same?) 
    • yes. Different phone models - both OnePlus android handsets. I also manually re-did the APN settings on my phone and then also copied them from hers just in case there was any difference. My Vodafone work sim was absolutely fine everywhere I went (and thankfully I knew had a stack of spare data on it that month and no fees for using it in Europe). 
  5. Both these numbers have previously been with Plusnet
    • yes - see initial para.
  6. Previously when with Plusnet there was no issue with roaming - however would you know if both SIMs roamed on 4G 
    • Correct. Both have been used in Europe on previous times (pre-COVID) with no issues and had worked perfectly. 

Hopefully this information helps. I'm not getting any email notifications from the forum so if I'm slow to respond I apologise but will need to keep manually checking this thread (Plusnet had to manually verify my email to allow me to post...). 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hiya Guys, 

I'm really sorry to read that you have all been experiencing an issue using services abroad and for the hassle this is causing. While we do have agreements with those countries, we can't guarantee that you will have 100% service.  

At the moment we are investigating an issues with 4g abroad with the respective countries and we ask if anyone has been affected, can you PM me your mobile number and full name? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Is anyone abroad at the moment and not able to get 4G? If so, could you private message me your mobile number?

We're needing 1 more example to help the investigation we're doing. 

Also, for those affected have you ever been able to get 4G with Plusnet while abroad?

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superpp71
Dabbler

I've only been to Germany so far, 3 cities and had no 4g in any location.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Are you back in the UK now? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alexpres
Dabbler

I've been with PlusNet since about January 2022.  As reported previously, I've been abroad in March 2022 (Andorra via France) and June 2022 (Belgium via France).  I was unable to get 4G at all times when outside the UK.

Sadly I'm in the UK for the foreseeable, so can't help any further.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries and I'm really sorry for the issues you've had. Hopefully if you go abroad again you'll be able to get 4G but for now we're just wanting examples of those who are currently away.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Frustrated4g

Hi, I’ve never been able to get 4g. Even driving through France, using many different networks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Really sorry to hear this. Are you in France or abroad anywhere at the moment? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baillp

We are currently away in France until October and we both have the same phones and both are with PlusNet. One phone (ported from O2) can get 4G the other, ported from EE cannot. I offered to help a couple of weeks ago but you declined yet you are nowhere closer to resolving this. If you want help then we are out of the country until October
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

A couple of weeks ago we weren't at a stage in the investigation to require further live examples, but we are now though.

Can you private message me the mobile number which can't get 4G? Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arkitect
Dabbler

@Gandalf wrote:

Also, for those affected have you ever been able to get 4G with Plusnet while abroad?

If it can be of help:

I joined Plusnet (came over from GiffGaff and O2 before that) in mid 2020, so travelling has been limited.

However, during my visits to France, Italy and Greece I have been unable to get any 4G.

Right now I'm back in the UK and my Plusnet service is excellent… just the roaming is completely useless.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the info! 

Atm just needing live examples but still good to know. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JW4
Hooked

@Gandalf - I’ve just sent you a PM with my number - am in France for the next couple of weeks
skeg0
Dabbler

@Gandalf I am still abroad, in Germany, without 4g. I have previously given my number to your team about a month ago, but happy to help in any way I can