cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spusu - Anybody heard of this network or tried it?

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Spusu - Anybody heard of this network or tried it?

Just learned about them, appeared in my comparison search: https://www.spusu.co.uk/

Seem like good sim only deals, with EU roaming and on EE.

Anybody had any experience with them?

29 REPLIES 29
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Spusu - Anybody heard of this network or tried it?

@pkw 

I am in the process of moving to them. I sent an email query to them, mainly to see how fast they would respond. I got a competent answer within a couple of hours.

You can sign up to a deal and hold off activating the service for up to 6 months. I am currently in that period as I got a very good earlier this month, but my current contract is still running and I didn't want to pay twice. I gave them a PAC code (which lasts 30 days) when I joined with a transfer date at the beginning of March, I shall activate the account a day or so before to check out the service with the temporary number that they have allocated to me.

The SIM card and activation instructions arrived within 24 hours of signing up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I lasted less than a day with them. SIM was sent out quickly by 1st Class post. Submitted a PAC when ordering but chose a number transfer date of 4th March. Activated the SIM.

In spite of them advertising they support WiFi calling and in spite of trying the SIM in two phones, both of which do support it, the option wasn't there in either "Settings" or the "Phone" app.. Android 13.

I sent an e-mail cancelling the service/account and to stop the PAC transfer. That was replied to very quickly confirming closure and transfer cancelled. They can't be criticised with regards that service but WiFi Calling is essential for me, hence closing it all down.

Whether the SIM was faulty or otherwise, my existing provider's WiFi Calling works pefectly in both those phones. Two different makes, Motorola G54 5G and Poco X5 Pro 5G.

Baldrick1

@newagetraveller 

I understand that SPUSU WiFi calling currently only works with iPhone and Samsung phones.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

Update, I have changed to SPUSU this very day, It took a matter of minutes. once I sent the activation code it immediately sent a link to automatically configure the phone APN settings and a second later all was working.

I did email SPUSU to enquire about WiFi Calling before joining and this was the response:

Yes that is correct, it is only Samsung and Apple phones that are supported.

Voice over LTE works with most other devices, Google phones are not currently supported but we are in communication with Google to organise a solution.

I have just tested WiFi Calling both ways with my iPhone and it works without any problems.

Monday is the day that the PAC code should activate and move me over from my temporary number. Hopefully this will also go smoothly.

Moderator and Customer

newagetraveller
Pro

What a shame they don't state anything, without delving further, about only being available for Samsung and fruity phones.

I would say slightly misleading or not being fully upfront. It wouldn't tke much effort to add, on their homepage, that WiFi Calling is only suitable for Samsung and fruit.

Baldrick1

@newagetraveller 

A Google search for WiFi calling gives:
https://www.spusu.co.uk/vowifi

It never occurred to me that this feature was so handset dependent, I had assumed that it went with the Android version, which is why I specifically asked.

Moderator and Customer

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@newagetraveller 

"In spite of them advertising they support WiFi calling and in spite of trying the SIM in two phones, both of which do support it, the option wasn't there in either "Settings" or the "Phone" app.. Android 13."

I hadn't heard of Spusu before either, and WiFi Calling is important to me because EE's signal is not great inside my home.

I have just got off the phone with them, (it sounded like a UK call centre), to clarify the situation regarding WiFi Calling support:

They advised that they do support it, but only on iPhones and "most" Samsung phones. (as per @Baldrick1 )

I have a Samsung A41, which is about 3 years old. They thought that it would be supported, but didn't seem to have any definitive list of which Samsung devices were / were not supported.

newagetraveller
Pro

I can't fault their C.S., however, only contacted them via e-mail to cancel the account.

A very rapid reply confirming closure at no cost and cancelling the PAC I had submitted.

It does seem a bit odd that only those two phone brands are suported. As Baldrick1 writes, I always thought it was across the board except for phones and providers that don't supported WiFi Calling.

Partly my fault for not digging deeper into their website BEFORE ordering a SIM. I just took their statement re WiFi Calling at face value.😎

newagetraveller
Pro

I would have edited the above, but can't.

I contacted Spusu and they replied advising there are no plans to extend WiFi Calling.

This must be putting lots of potential customers off to whom it is essential because of poor network signal strength.👎

pkw
Aspiring Pro

While it's not an essential feature for me, it has put me off joining them (the other factor being relatively new operator), as it seems to be something that's expected to be supported across networks these days especially if the hardware supports it, and may come in handy.

Having said that, I was looking into Smarty instead and just learned that even though they support wifi calling, it's for a limited number of devices. Some of them that are not on the list might work, but I don't have a way of checking this would be supported in my phone other than ordering and paying for a Smarty sim, or borrowing one from someone.

scgf
Grafter

I had my EE number ported over today and found out a couple of things I didn't like. 5G isn't supported on Google Pixels, I use a Pixel 8. I couldn't believe that one. Maybe it's only unsupported on eSIMs, but that's what I have. Then I found Hullomail won't work because it relies on conditional call forwarding, which Spusu doesn't support at all.

I called them this evening to obtain my PAC, after setting up a new account with EE, but they can't supply the PAC until the next working day, ie. Monday.

These MVNOs are all well and good, but they always lack something the provider they piggy-back off includes. If it's something you wouldn't/don't use, fair enough, but sometimes it's access to the network itself and you end up a second-class citizen.

At least Spusu is a one-month rolling contract so I haven't lost much.

A lesson well learned.

Baldrick1

My experience with them so far has been faultless. I am fortunate having an iPhone. It supports all the EE features that I was requiring, WiFi calling works I originally found that I could not use the phone as a hotspot. A call to customer services was literally answered in seconds. It was immediately identified that the problem was that apn settings were missing. A couple of minutes later an email arrived advising the settings required and how to enter them.

There are cheaper options out there but if you have a compatible phone, want to use the EE network (including the 800MHz band I understand), WiFi calling, use as a hotspot and for European calls and roaming then for me at least it's so far, so good.

In terms of them being 'new' I understand that they have a widespread customer base in Europe.

Moderator and Customer

scgf
Grafter

Yes, they are much better than most MVNOs. Plusnet, for example, was a really minimal service and lacked several EE features. For most people Spusu will do everything they need, it was unfortunate that two features I used and needed were not available. I do think the lack of 5G on the Google Pixel series of phones is a major negative though. I only found this out after I has signed up and stated using their network. A search online shows that the Spusu parent company in Austria has the same issue.

pkw
Aspiring Pro

I wonder if "wifi calling not supported" on some devices means "definitely doesn't work" or "may or may not work but it's not oficially supported", as seems to be a case with Smarty, for example. I would be interested to hear if anybody has tried it on an "unsupported" device.

Edit: after doing some digging, I see quite a few issues with Spusu - no OTP texts, no HD calls etc. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/spusu-uk.41228/