Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code numbers

rogerwilson
Dabbler

Short code numbers

Hello,

I've just ported to PN from the 3 network. I can no longer RECEIVE text messages from the bank, doctor and others that use the short code format.

In Settings on my phone I've:

Manually selected the PN network

Cleared the cache of Messages

Reset Access point names

Nothing's made a difference. Any suggestions anyone before I go back to 3? Thanks in advance.

Roger.

12 REPLIES 12
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Short code numbers

Unfortunately Plusnet Mobile do not allow you to reply to short text codes there are many posts on this Forum about it.

You can receive them but not reply to them  

If you need them you will have to go back to Three 

To check your setting see below

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

rogerwilson
Dabbler

As I said, I cannot RECEIVE them.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro

I can but not reply back

Time to change if you need them I think it should be advised when you sign up 

It's like everything in life you get what you pay for or don't get 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for signing up @rogerwilson 

I’m really sorry to see you’re having issues receiving short-code text messages. What’s the make and model of your phone handset, and do you have another handset you can try your SIM in, just to rule things out?

@Smith7, I think Roger’s issue is that he can’t receive short-code text messages when he should be able to. I don’t believe whether you can receive would bear relevance as it’d be a different account and possibly a different handset as well with its own settings. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Hi,

Yes I've tried the SIM in another handset and it's exactly the same - texts from other mobiles could be received but not 2 factor authentication messages from a short code number.

My phone is a Moto G7 Play.

Thanks,

Roger.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi Roger, I believe we've spoken via private message, but let me know if you need any further help. Smiley

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Really frustratingly, over the weekend a whole glut of previously undelivered short code texts arrived together. It looks like something happened behind the scenes to clear the fault. If I'd have known it was going to be fixed, I wouldn't have switched to Virgin Mobile! However that switch has just gone through today (and everything seems to work) so it's all a bit too late.

Thanks again for looking into this for me. The PN Customer Services just had a check list to go through which was never going to make any difference. In fact I was originally told PN doesn't support short codes at all! Only later after internet research did I find out it was only replying to them that isn't supported.

All the best,

Roger.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi Roger,

Ah terrible timing. Sad I'm not aware though of a problem or anything we've done behind the scenes to fix, so it's a mystery. 

All the best with Virgin Mobile! Let me know if there's ever anything else you'd need help with. 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Smith7
Seasoned Pro

@rogerwilson wrote:

As I said, I cannot RECEIVE them.

But you CAN receive them  like I said

rogerwilson
Dabbler

There was a fault.

The fault was I couldn't receive short code texts.

OK?

enlliserve
Grafter

Oh dear. Virgin Mobile have a 20 month long thread on their forum of some people having problems receiving short codes.
rogerwilson
Dabbler

So it's a known problem on UK mobile networks then. Thought so!

Luckily I'm all OK on Virgin. No problems at all.

Thanks for your contribution.