cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Spain not possible

Smudgerman

Roaming in Spain not possible

So we have Brexit. We were told no problems with roaming. Well, since Brexit I get a very poor service from plusnet. I can no longer  log into the network with the strongest signal as was always possible in the past. I appear to only be able to log into the very poor provider called Yoigo. This company has appalling coverage.

As a consequence, I can only use my phone in large towns. Where I live we get strong signals from Orange, Voda phone and Movistar but plusnet will not connect to any.

Searching this site, I see that this issue has been raised in the past and members have been fudged off .

Plusnet do not appear to have a customer service email or web chat. They just leave problems to forums like this..aka useless.

10 REPLIES 10
Smudgerman

Re: Mobile service in Spain, Malaga, Alcaucin

Sorry to say that I am having the same problem. No problems until these last few weeks. No signal being picked up by my plusnet phone..if I go into town it sometimes connects to the inferior Yoigo network. Very strong signal from orange, Movistar and Voda phone where I live but it just will not connect. Various posts in the past mention that plusnet is forcing users to yoigo and NOT allowing log ins to other networks. This appears to be true.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post moved from https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Mobile-service-in-Spain-Malaga-Alcaucin/m-p/1799466#M19043 to keep support in one place.
Sollii
Hooked

Re: Roaming in Spain not possible

I have posted twice with no resolution. If I want to use my phone I need to travel from Alcaucin to the coast where all services are fine. So a 20-30 km trip to use my phone. It seems that some areas of the network have not had permissions updated. Do not think it is anything to do with Brexit, it seems that permissions for us to use the towers does not seem to spread to certain areas. Been without for 2 weeks now.

Smudgerman

I wouldn’t hold your breath for replies. This forum is a cheap get out jail card for plusnet. You are probably right ref Brexit..its maybe just the timing . I cannot understand why perfectly good signals are not being used. My othe U.K. network phones work fine. 

HuckFinn

I am having exactly the same issue.

Our PlusNet phone reception was working as expected but recently something has changed.

Reception is often non-existent, when other networks have a strong signal, and calls drop frequently.

Something major has changed - can anyone help.

(We have two contracts and have tried the SISM in different phones)

If this is not resolved very soon, I will have to find and alternative provider as currently this is unusable.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Could this be something like the Spanish network closing 2G or 3G networks as they go over to 4G and 5G as is happening in other countries? - 2G /3G frequencies are being repurposed for 4G and 5G services.

I don't know the area or which Spanish network you use when roaming but it might be something like that?

HuckFinn

Coudl be - that is above my pay grade......

But I had perfect 4g signal..now it is like being back in the old BT days of the 80s where calls regularly fail..

Eveyoneonese else has perfect signal.. but my phones on pluses do not... fail to see how this is a local Spanish transition issue!!!

orby
Rising Star

If it's like Plusnet in the UK, you can't actually make voice calls on the 4G network, that only provides data (Plusnet doesn't provide 4G voice calling / VoLTE)....so I guess you could receive 4G very well but when making a voice call the phone drops to 3G or 2G and if those signals aren't strong or even present (if something has changed like 2G network closing) it might account for this.

I am only mentioning this as a possibility...I have no idea other than being a plusnet customer who finds the lack of 4G voice calling to be somewhat annoying but don't know if that's your problem or something quite different.

HuckFinn

Hey @orby - if it was as simple as the call dropping down onto a different type of network that would be one thing...However the issue of having ZERO signal (nothing/nada/zilch) when other people with different SIMS have perfect signal, are able to make calls and access data, is something quite different.

The fact this this seems to have started happening across lots of people on PLUSNET, but other people on other networks/providers are fine. 

I have a SIM from 3 and this has reception... they are not experiencing this issue. I also have friends on Vodaphone who are fine as well.

I have to conclude that there is something vert wring with the PLUSNET MVNO setup as it was working fine and now it is not in numerous places in Spain. Spoke to Customer services who said that they are investigating the problem which lots of people have complained about.

orby
Rising Star

Yes that sounds like something else, some admin issue with Plusnet users not being allowed access to the network or something. I only mentioned the 2g/3g thing in case that was a possibility as it's something gradually happening across europe and could / does cause issues to some users.