Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

The "Special Deals" are available now, if you ask.

I moved from Plusnet to EE last week: I was previously paying £6/month for 5GB data on PN, which has become £8/month with EE. Still on a 30 day rolling contract.

It was all arranged through Plusnet Mobile - they sorted out the new Direct Debit with EE, new SIM card and number port. I haven't had any contact with EE and it all went very smoothly.

Dirkdiggler
Grafter

Strange how I've not had this same notification come through . Any one else?
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm beginning to think that the email quoted above ,was sent out "by mistake" ahead of schedule - it's very interesting that no PN staffer has seen fit to either deny or confirm the closedown of PN Mobile. 

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Dirkdiggler @davidj66 

I didn't receive the email before I arranged to leave Plusnet Mobile - I heard about it on another forum, possibly MoneySavingExpert?

Because I was already planning to leave PN, (I guessed that closure was imminent when I could only renew on a rolling 30 day contract), I called Plusnet to see what they could offer. The person that I spoke to, confirmed the forthcoming closure and advised me of the "Special Deals" for existing PN customers to move to EE and arranged the whole transfer.

The only thing that they didn't know about was the timescale for PN Mobile's closure.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@davidj66 - It's true sadly. We're no longer offering Mobile to new customers and referring them to our friends at EE. It hasn't been communicated out yet about the Who, Where, What, When and Why so I'd have to leave the details about what to expect as an existing customer in the air for now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
tulip1
Hooked

I have four accounts with Plusnet ( family members ) in different parts of England. On my own account I pay £6 for 5gb, I am currently trialling a Lebara sim alongside my Plusnet one, it costs £4.95 a month ( £1.98 first 3 months ) no contract.

It has 5g , wifi calling , eu roaming, the signal varies, sometimes it;s better than plusnet , sometimes slightly worse .

I had the email about closing this morning, I can't see any reason to move to EE

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@it hasn't been communicated out yet about the Who, Where, What, When and Why so I'd have to leave the details about what to expect as an existing customer in the air for now".

If you mean what offers are available to PN Mobile customers to move to EE, as I said in Message #16, I was on Unlimited Calls & Texts, with 5GB data, (plus an extra 2GB for having PN Broadband), for £6/month.

The offer that I accepted to move was £8/month for a similar package, (5GB data), losing the 2GB "Boost", but gaining access to the extra frequencies that EE uses and PN doesn't, and also WiFi Calling. I'm in a poor EE coverage area indoors and I've finally managed to get WiFi CAlling to work properly on my BT Whole Home WiFi mesh network. 😀

Dirkdiggler
Grafter

I think one of the things that may work to my advantage is that I have an EE contract for unlimited 4G broadband already so can get a discount on other contracts on that basis and gift 100gb of data to the other plans. In the meantime I will wait to see how it unfolds. One of the things that will definitely be worse with EE is there is no "roam like at home" as there is with PN. You have to pay for this 😬
Dirkdiggler
Grafter

Looks like 1pmobile might be the way to go for me. EU roaming is included. EE is £2.29 a day which with 2 mobiles soon adds up with a few trips abroad. They don't offer as much data Vs plusnet did for £10/month (10gb Vs 25) but I think the roaming makes it the best proposition Vs EE. Also has 5g, VoLTE and WiFi calling. If EE wasn't so expensive on roaming I would probably just go with them but it's too much.
catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/05/plusnet-mobile-closing-down-switch/

MSE have more concrete news on the shutdown.
For current Plusnet mobile customers they should hear it from the horses mouth really. Poor from a communications company.
BlueEagle365
Grafter

I called PN about my broadband back in April and also asked to speak to someone in the mobile team to get the low down. I was on £11 month for U/L calls & texts and 32gb - it was about to go up to £12.50 month with this years price rise. Only normally used about half the data but kept upping each black Friday when new offers came out 🙂 Anyway, the EE offered to me was for much less data about 12gb I think (close to my average usage) for £18 on a 12 month contract with price rise in April of CPI + 3.9%. There was nothing tempting everything mentioned was going to be more expensive generally with lower data allowances

I decided to switch to Smarty on a MoneySavingExpert special deal of 50gb U/L calls & txts for £8 per month on a rolling 30day/month basis. Offer price set for 12 months, no price rises. Switch went through OK and so far so good. 3 signal at home not quite as good as EE but still useable plus WIFI calling is active which makes up for it.

Shame PN is closing down mobile, never had any issues with it and even with price rises was fir priced for what I wanted, Will be sad to see it go 😞  Broadband is with them too, well pleased and a good price for a renewal that will take me to when BT/Plusnet and GigaClear have full fibre available to our area (next 6-9 months).

ashn
Dabbler

Deals are up. Pretty poor considering. https://www.plus.net/mobile/

5GB for £8, 10GB for £10, 20GB for £12 and 125GB for £15,

gbhxu

Would have been easier just to rebrand Plusnet Mobile as EE

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@gbhxu 

From a technical perspective, I think that there is probably more to it than that.

Bear in mind that EE use more frequency bands than Plusnet has access to, and also that EE support WiFi Calling whereas Plusnet doesn't.

gbhxu

Probably all that's needed is for EE to issue a sim card with your existing phone number on