Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenVPN

not_me
Hooked

OpenVPN

Hi

I run a non-Plusnet router on Plusnet fibre broadband.

It has successfully hosted an OpenVPN service for several years now. I could attach to my home network via remote WiFi networks and using data from my phone. I was at that time on a mobile phone contract with Vodafone.

I've now switched to a Plusnet mobile contract and it is impossible to connect to OpenVPN on my router from my phone. Accessing from remote WiFi networks still works fine.

The logical conclusion is that Plusnet/EE block the ports necessary for OpenVPN, but I see several board posts stating that they do not.

I've had a very frustrating conversation with Plusnet mobile support - after asking around the office, he insisted that the only ports he was aware of were for moving mobile numbers.....

Anyone help/ideas?

Thanks

not_me

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: OpenVPN

May or may not help, but have you tried requesting that the adult content filter is disabled on your mobile account?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

not_me
Hooked

Hi bobpullen

Thanks for your input.

I asked for the filter to be removed when I spoke to Support, and it still appears to be off.

Cheers

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I have an OpenVPN endpoint on my network. It's not running on the router, instead it runs on a Raspberry Pi with UDP port 1194 forwarded to it.

I've just tried connecting to it from a Plusnet SIM card assigned the IP address 213.205.197.204 and I didn't have any problems. Not sure what's happening in your case Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

not_me
Hooked

Thanks again.

I'm not in a position to set up another OpenVPN endpoint in my network just at the moment, but even forwarding the ports from the router will probably not work if the traffic doesn't reach the router in the first place - which it does when generated from another (WiFi, say) network.

Does anyone have any ideas? Plusnet?

not_me
Hooked

Does anyone from Plusnet read these Forums?

I've also tried the Plusnet Mobile help line and they are of no use.

Anyone any ideas?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry for the delayed staff response, although Bob's from Plusnet.

There's probably very little we can do, but have you tried turning your phone off for as long as you can then back on? 

That should hopefully try to get your mobile on to a different IP address, which may or may not be the issue. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
not_me
Hooked

Hi
I've rebooted and confirmed a change of IP address.
I can see that I'm receiving a 10.X.X.X address, rather than a private address like Bob's. Is that relevant?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Probably not. Does OpenVPN work now? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
not_me
Hooked

No, I'm afraid not.
Still works over WiFi from the phone when mobile data is switched off, using the same OpenVPN profile.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah that's disappointing. Honestly I'm not familiar with using OpenVPN or port forwarding etc, so maybe there's someone else in the Community, who might be able to help you get this sorted. Sorry. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I can see that I'm receiving a 10.X.X.X address, rather than a private address like Bob's. Is that relevant? 

@not_me definitely is! A 10.x.x.x is a private non-routable address. You should be getting a public IP similar to the one Bob quoted above. I just tried my mobile (On PlusNet) and got an IP address similar to Bobs.

I wouldnt have thought you could access anything via mobile data with a 10.x.x.x address, and certainly not your OpenVpn server!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

not_me
Hooked

Thanks.

I realise that a 10.X.X.X may be an issue but I can browse out from my phone no problem. I don't know how your network is configured and whether it should support these ports talking to OpenVPN. Presumably NAT.

My phone is receiving these 10.X.X.X addresses from Plusnet/EE. Any idea how I can receive a "proper" address?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

What are you using to check the IP address ?

Do you have the APN configured correctly ? https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

not_me
Hooked

Hi

Double checked my APN settings and they match the settings in your link.

With WiFi off, the phone reports a 10.X.X.X address via "About Phone" (Android)

With WiFi off, using a Google search through a browser returns 213.205.241.130

Still no luck with OpenVPN.