cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data roaming

Iainski47
Hooked

Mobile data roaming

I am in St Anton, Austria this week and need data roaming to find restaurants etc. In spite of data roaming being switched on I cannot use the internet when skiing. The mobile coverage in the mountains is at least as good as in a UK city. The phone has selected T mobile on 4g. I have manually tried other networks but to no avail. Plusnet says there is nothing they can do about it! This is unacceptable in this day and age. Other skiers in our chalet can access mobile data with other providers. This is a warning to anyone travelling abroad as you may need mobile data if you want to use Google maps, for instance, to navigate. I am going to change provider when my contract comes up for renewal

18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Mobile data roaming

Plusnet says there is nothing they can do about it!

Did PN advise which networks they have roaming agreements with in Austria ?

Do calls and texts work ok ?

Last time I looked Austria was in the EU so EU 'roam like at home' regulations apply, so providing there's a good signal then PN MUST provide roaming facilities.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your data.

So we can investigate further can you PM me your mobile number or account number along with your full address and postcode?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Iainski47
Hooked

Hallo

My mobile number is [Removed]

Cheers

Iainski47

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Iainski47
Hooked

Hi there

Calls and SMS work fine

Cheers

Iainski47

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Check the APN settings. Sometimes the wrong ones can work in the UK but not when roaming.

They should be

• APN: everywhere.
  • Username: eesecure.
  • Password: secure.
  • MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135.
  • MMS Port: 8080.
  • Authentication Type: PAP.
  • APN Type - You might be given a list to choose from, or asked to type something in. If it's a list, choose internet+MMS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Iainski47
Hooked

Hi there

I am struggling with APN type.

On my phone when you open this you get : default,supl,agps,fota,dun

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, what handset are you using and does it allow you to update the APN settings?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Iainski47

am struggling with APN type.

On my phone when you open this you get : default,supl,agps,fota,dun

That looks like it might be an Android phone, in which case use default

This explains the types https://tamingthedroid.com/apn-type

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Plusnet says there is nothing they can do about it!

Did PN advise which networks they have roaming agreements with in Austria ?

@ MisterW - we have agreements in Austria with;

T Mobile

A1 Telekom 

Hutchison Drei 

@Iainski47 Can you possible let us know what other carried you have tried to manually connect to? Can you confirm if it happens on all of these? 

Thanks

MoR

Iainski47
Hooked

Plusnet use T mobile in Austria
summersklg

I'm having exactly the same issue except in Berlin. I have a Motorola G6.

Mobile data worked fine the first few weeks I was here, but after hitting my monthly call/data allowance (my old plan was capped), everthing stopped for a day or two. Fine, it was going to be reset in a couple of days anyway, but when the "your monthly allowance has been reset" sms message came through, mobile data still wouldn't work. Calls and texts are fine, it's just data. I've tried everything commonly suggested, taking sim out for 10 mins, turning off mobile data/data roaming, turning flight mode off and on, doing all of these steps with a phone reset inbetween. 

I've also been sent a new sim and tried that (I was previously on a 3g deal and explaing this problem to a Plusnet person on the phone they suggested switching to 4g since I'd be paying the same and it might fix the data issue). Still no data.

The mobile signal symbol just says "R", there hasn't been a 3g or 3g+ or H or anything like that ever since I hit that monthly limit some weeks ago. After activating the 4g sim last night (or this morning, it was supposed to be live from midnight but ended up not working until I reset hte phone again this morning), I briefly had a "3g+" symbol next to the "R", but it was greyed out, and data still didn't work. Since then it's just been the R again. 

When my data was working I was on Telekom.de. Now with the new sim it seems to be defaulting to o2 de, and when I try to register with Telekom.de manually it just says "Can't connect to this network at the moment. Try again later". Same with vodaphone.de, the only other option on the list.

To clarify, o2 de has calls and texts but no data, and the other two don't work now. I was on Telekom de before when the data was working, and might have still been on there after the data stopped working (can't remember). 

I've tried changing the APN settings to match those suggested in this thread, and also a few others suggested APN settings from other forum posts. The last plusnet person I spoke basically said "Sorry, it's just random, some people can get mobile data abroad, some can't. We can't guarantee access to mobile data abroad". Is this just how it is, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

summersklg

... and as soon as I post that, I reset my phone a final time and miraculously it starts working. I have data again.

Thanks Plusnet forum. Magic!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @summersklg, sorry to hear you've been experiencing some data roaming issues, but I'm glad to hear that seems to have since resolved itself. Thanks for letting us know.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The last plusnet person I spoke basically said "Sorry, it's just random, some people can get mobile data abroad, some can't. We can't guarantee access to mobile data abroad"

@summersklg I'm sorry but that's rubbish! Whilst they (PN) can't guarantee a good signal on foreign networks, if there is a good signal (and there would appear to be for you) then they are obliged to provide 'roam like at home' facilities in any EU country and that includes data AFAIK.

There seems to be a problem with hitting a cap whilst roaming ...