cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International roaming bolt on - anything available?

BlueEagle365
Grafter

International roaming bolt on - anything available?

I am  going overseas to Jordan later in the year and have looked for an international bolt on to cover a small number of minutes/texts and a bit of data. I haven't found anything so am I right in assuming Plusnet does not offer these?

It's band 6 so really expensive to use (£2.50 min call/£1 min receive, 50p text and £6 mb of data!), I think my best option is to get a local sim for while I'm there and use hotel Wi-Fi for messaging if available.

3 REPLIES 3
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: International roaming bolt on - anything available?

The recommended approach is to get a local SIM.

BTW make sure you disable roaming before you leave the UK - my wife recently visited the USA and when she switched her phone on in the USA it used 907MB (catching up with Facebook etc) before she could access the settings to disable roaming. Fortunately she had a £5 smart-cap so it only cost £5 rather than the full £5000+

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi BlueEagle365, 

Just to echo what corringham has mentioned, getting a SIM from a local provider would be the most cost effective solution for you. In case you did want to see what our charges are for international calling we have a guide here: https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I had thought that £6 per Mb was a record breaking amount to charge, but a recent Telegraph article comparing data roaming charges reported O2 charge £7.20 per Mb. The journalist also hit high charges just by switching his phone on.

Those sort of rates shouldn't be allowed - it would be better not to allow any data roaming at all.