Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

FIXED
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

I am able to check my voicemail by dialing '555' but do not get any voicemail notifications or icons on my Samsung s8 phone. 

I have set my settings to beep once and vibrate but still does not work. (Please see attached screenshot)

I think there must be something wrong with the Plusnet server not sending notifications to the phone that the voicemail has been received?

109 REPLIES 109
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Re: Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

Hi @20882016!

Thanks for getting in touch with us Smiley

Please read the comment below from another thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Voicemail-Notifications/td-p/1481736 

As Plusnet mobile is an MVNO, we do have a basic voicemail service which may not always have the same functionality as the big 3 networks. We tend to find that the voicemail notifications do vary from handset to handset, some handsets do allow you to manually enable the notifications, but this is not something we can do via the network.

This would explain why you are getting the odd notification when you restart your device, but not when the voicemail is originally left.

If you'd like us to look at performing some troubleshooting, please don't hesitate to send me a private message Smiley

Thanks

-Oli

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Whether or not you see an icon is dependent on the carrier supporting 'visual voicemail' (which I don't believe we do, although I could be wrong).

e.g. I have a Voda SIM and despite my settings being aligned with yours (I'm using a Google Pixel), I don't see a notification icon either. Instead I receive an SMS that comes from 'Voicemail', telling me to call my Voicemail number.

I believe O2 and EE support visual voicemail for certain handsets, not sure about other operators.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Hooked

Thanks @bobpul but just want to be clear. It is not 'visual' voicemail I am after. 

I am only concerned with 'basic' voicemail notification.

This is just a simple icon on top of the phone. It has been supported back from the old black & white nokia phones. Plusnet do have icon support as It used to work on my S7 Edge. 

HashBrown5
Dabbler

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ with exactly the same issue. Had a few calls with customer services but still not found a solution. They keep telling me it's an issue with my device settings.
Hooked

@HashBrown5 I am switching over to virgin mobile to see if it fixes it..i think it may be a carrier issue as my friend s8 works with his network
Hooked

@OliGaffney @HashBrown5 I can now confirm now the problem is with the plusnet voicemail servers. I have just switched to Virgin Mobile and now get voicemail notifications on my Samsung S8. Not settings changed, just different sim card!

Also the Plusnet simcard sends voicemail notifications in the s7 phone. Just not compatible with s8 phone.

Perhaps the Plusnet servers have not been updated to send notifications to s8 in the correct format?

HashBrown5
Dabbler

*SOLUTION*

I made another call to customer services, this time they suggested I try a brand new sim card. And it worked. I now have voicemail notifications back working on my Samsung Galaxy S8+

This may only be a temporary solution, let's see how long it lasts.  I must stress that I've tried so many different settings on the phone, clearing cache, installing apps and messing with 3G/LTE settings. Nothing worked. 

Swapping out the sim card for a brand new one, sent by Plusnet worked instantly. Note I haven't changed contracts or phone numbers, just activated a new sim card.

Does this mean it's 100% a fault with Plusnet and not the phone? Still not sure... maybe the phone broke the sim card?
Anyway - I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has any success with this method.

bowieben
Hooked

Hi  HashBrown5

Is this still working for you since getting the replacement sim? I am having the same problem with the same phone.

Thanks

Ben

HashBrown5
Dabbler

No. It worked for a few days then stopped again.

Extremely frustrating.  I'm switching to Virgin Mobile.

bowieben
Hooked

Yes, very frustrating! Ok, thanks for the reply, I won't bother requesting a new sim then!

Cheers

Frenchy70

Just following on from the thread about having no voicemail notifications.

I am also having an issue with my S8 not telling me and giving me any notification when a message has been left.

I switched over from my iphone 5s to a S8 in December. I never had an problems with voicemail message notifications on the iphone or plusnet until December when I switched over.

I've been into the Samsung store on 2 occasions to discuss and they can find no issue with the phone and I've spoken to plusnet also on 2 occasions to discuss and again they can't seem to find any issue.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall and do not know what to do about the problem from here on in???

OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi @Frenchy70!

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

As mentioned earlier, these notifications are handset based and it's very unfortunate that some Samsung phones seem to struggle.

We cannot activate these notifications from a network level, but we can definitely perform some troubleshooting to see if we can make it any better for you!

To do this, we'll need to access your account. I'll be able to do this if you send me a private message!

You'll find the option for this on my profile Smiley

Thank you

-Oli

SAABDude
Grafter

I'm having the same problem on a Samsung J5 2017. Only get notifications of voicemails at random or on reboot. So the handset does thus seem to support the notification (or it wouldn't get anything). The issue seems to be the timing. It should be a push service from the Plusnet voicemail server. I can't believe that in this day and age that any mobile provider can't get this right. It should be simple. It worked fine on an old Nokia handset (not smart phone) on Tesco via O2 so I'm not convinced 're the Plusnet argument that it is handset related - unless the Plusnet voicemail server is a particularly poor (aka cheap) implementation of a voicemail server. The only way a phone can know if a message has been left is if the server tells it so. That just needs to trigger the simple voicemail icon. If the server doesn't push the trigger, the phone won't show it. I can't see that it is any more complex than that as the basic trigger for a voicemail notification should not have really changed (otherwise the function wouldnt work at all and the issue we are talking about tends to be one of timing). So Plusnet, over to you. Suggest your back room IT chaps have a slightly more serious think about this. Cheers.
stewartmanley
Hooked

I have the same issue. I simply don't believe it's the S8 alone, as it worked just fine with Three before I switched to PN. It's clearly a combination of the S8 and PN, and the only change I made was provider.

This is a right pest, and no mistake.