Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about bill and smart cap

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Questions about bill and smart cap

I'm brand new to Plusnet Mobile although we've been with Plusnet for about 20 years for internet services. I have a few questions...

1) Can anyone confirm whether the time of call appears on bills as well as the date as I cannot see this in the Usage Breakdown tab for calls I've made in the last couple of days?

2) I've read the Smart Cap FAQs but I guess I'm not that smart as I don't fully understand it. I have Unlimited calls, texts and 4GB data for £8.50 per month. I set the cap at £0 as I don't want to inadvertently phone a costly number. However, my billing area says that I have £8.50 until I 'reach my Smart Cap (currently £0.00).' I presume this is an amount reserved for paying the next monthly payment for having the facility. Can anyone tell me what would happen if I inadvertently rang a costly number like 0871? Would it come out of this £8.50 or would I just not be able to make the call? The latter is what I'm hoping is the case as I don't want to not be able to make my monthly payment and get hit with a charge.

3) Finally, if I have a £0 smart cap and I use up my 4Gb of data, will I be notified so that I can top up in some way?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Annie
3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Questions about bill and smart cap

Hiya Annie, sorry for the delayed response.

we've been with Plusnet for about 20 years for internet services.

Thanks for your loyalty!

1) Can anyone confirm whether the time of call appears on bills as well as the date as I cannot see this in the Usage Breakdown tab for calls I've made in the last couple of days?

Yep it does, though you'll need to go to the History > Bills tab then download the PDF of the relevant invoice. If you download our new app for iOS Here or Android Here you should be able to view the time of the calls before they've compiled into an invoice.

2) I've read the Smart Cap FAQs but I guess I'm not that smart as I don't fully understand it. I have Unlimited calls, texts and 4GB data for £8.50 per month. I set the cap at £0 as I don't want to inadvertently phone a costly number. However, my billing area says that I have £8.50 until I 'reach my Smart Cap (currently £0.00).' I presume this is an amount reserved for paying the next monthly payment for having the facility. Can anyone tell me what would happen if I inadvertently rang a costly number like 0871? Would it come out of this £8.50 or would I just not be able to make the call? The latter is what I'm hoping is the case as I don't want to not be able to make my monthly payment and get hit with a charge.

The cost of the call to a 087 number would be an additional charge and won't come out of your normal monthly allowance, so it'll add towards your smart cap limit straight away.

If you reach your smart cap, your service will be restricted until you make a one-off payment or your refresh date comes around. We won't charge you any more than what you've set your smart cap at.

3) Finally, if I have a £0 smart cap and I use up my 4Gb of data, will I be notified so that I can top up in some way?

We'll send you a text message if you use 80% of your monthly allowance, and we'll send you another one if you use it all up.

This brings me to this point: the lowest we should be able to set a smart cap is £2 so I'm not sure how you've got it at £0. Mind sending me a private message with your account number or mobile number? I'd like to look into this.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks @Gandalf. I think the Smart Cap being allowed to be £0 is a new thing. We did it on the phone when we created the account and the member area lets you have it at £0 too (see screenshot).

As it happens, the member area now says 'Youʼve £0.00 left on your Smart Cap.' rather than £8.50 like it was at the start, which is what I was expecting. Does this mean that we won't be able to make any chargeable calls outside of our plan? This is what I'm hoping.

If you still want my account number, let me know and I'll pM it to you.

Annie

Annie
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Annie.
Yes you’re right. I found out today that this was a relatively recent change.
As we can’t charge you more than what you’ve set your smart cap at, it should mean that you’ll only pay your monthly allowance if you’ve got the smart cap at £0.

If you make a chargeable call you’ll likely end up restricted soon after, and a credit should appear on your account to cover the cost of the call if incurred before your service gets restricted.
Hope this helps.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet