cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of usage

FIXED
helloliversidge

Proof of usage

I need to show a proof of usage document but when i've called customer services i've been told that Plus Net doesn't store handset information, so can this be obtained somehow, from EE perhaps? I need provide the following in one document:

1. Your name and address
2. Make and model of the device
3. Serial number (IMEI number if a mobile phone)
4. Date of purchase
5. Date of first usage
6. Date of last usage

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Proof of usage

Hopefully you know your name and address. Presumably you know when you bought it so that should be near enough when you first used it.

The handset details will be stored in the phone, there’s probably an option in the settings called something like About. Last used should be in the phone log.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Baldrick1 , a proof of usage document is usually required when you are making an insurance claim for a lost or stolen phone. In those cases knowing your own address doesn't help, as the insurance company want you to prove that you actually used to have and use the phone, and aren't just making a claim for a phone that you would have liked to own (but didn't), or have sold etc.

Similarly, the phone probably isn't around to check the settings.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@corringham 

So if you have a phone worth insuring I guess that you need to ensure that these details are included in the phone receipt when you buy it?

I can imagine that this sort of information is available if you buy a phone from a mainstream mobile phone service provider and use it on their network. It will be interesting to see if the same service is available from a budget ISP with a SIM card only service on the side.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

helloliversidge

@Baldrick1 Thanks for your help. Unfortunately they are demanding a single document, produced from my service provider that contains all of this information, it specifically says i can't put a document together myself from different sources. I think it's straight forward to provide if you're registered with an actual service provider, like EE, etc. Also, my screen is broken on my phone so i can't access anything within my handset, perhaps connecting it up to my laptop i might be able to find something though. But like i say, i don't think they'd expect it anyway.

helloliversidge

@corringham Yes, this is problem, I'm not sure Plus Net store this information at all.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for your post @helloliversidge and welcome to our Community Forums. 

If you can drop me a PM with the below details, I’ll be happy to see what I can do, but I can’t guarantee it’s possible though.

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I suppose it could be possible Plusnet can detect the make, model IMEI etc of the phone. But how would they know the date of purchase?
SK

Hi,

I am having a similar issue whereby my phone got stolen and as the phone was gifted to me I have been advised I need to provide proof of usage from my network provider- this includes proof of the IMEI number. I wonder if anyone can help?

helloliversidge

Hi SK,

Plus Net manually created the document for me and posted it through. Although, in the end, my insurance company backed down and didn't need it anyway. So I would contact the Plus Net-er who responded further up the thread and ask for the same document.