cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS messaging problems

mike4262
Hooked

Re: MMS messaging problems

No MMS here either , iphone 5 and a samsung A3 both with PN sims, neither work, can't send or receive MMS. On the iphone the APN settings are hidden , on the samsung they're as per published data and a reset makes no diff. Neither SIM has started using smart cap.

Tried a PN chat for support but was suggested to put sims in different phones, power off/on , pull sim etc etc . which makes no sense as we have 2 very different phones with same issue. 

SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Hi mike4262,

thanks for getting in touch! I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with MMS, if you drop me a PM I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. 

kh1
Dabbler

Hi Mike, let me know how you get on the last dealings I had with support was to try changing sims into another phone rather than sending a new sim out and trying that. Which was no good as my wife's phone takes a different sim size to mine. As to the APN settings there is non that I can access on my phone which is an I Phone SE previous I phones I could access these on that but not this newer model.

I gave up in the end pursuing it as it is not something I use much the mms as there are apps like WhatsApp that I can use it was just someone that was trying to send me a mms from his phone and I couldn't receive it and couldn't send one back either. In the end I wondered if it was something that the network provider EE needed to do with the settings as something did come up from them about entering a code/pin to receive the message which they had supposedly sent but I never received it.

I haven't tried to pursue it any further to be honest I lost patience with all the messing about and as I said previously there is the apps to use that does the same job.

But let me know if you get it sorted as I am still curious as to what the problem is when I have had no problem before with other networks that I have been with previously.
SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi kh1! I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues with your MMS!

I'd be more than happy to look into this for you, so please don't hesitate to drop me a PM, and i'll be sure to try my best! -Sean Smiley

mike4262
Hooked

PM sent, please advise if you need more information.

thanks

Mike

Hambonz
Hooked

Along with support from Sean, I can now send MMS using the attached APN settings (Password is "secure")

Hopefully it may help others.

APN Settings with MMS workingAPN Settings with MMS working

--

HambonZ

mike4262
Hooked

Hambonz,

I've made some progress, using your APN settings I got MMS on the Samsung android working and for 1 of our iphones I've been sent a new SIM by plusnet and that worked out of the box.

Out of of curiosity when the new SIM worked I swapped back to the now inactive SIM to see what it would do and was immediately prompted for a carrier update .. I wonder if this means the 2 SIMs have different APN settings? Anyway I declined the update and went back to the new working SIM.

I've 2 more iphones to get working now ... new SIMs needed I guess even though one of the non-working SIMs is only a couple of weeks old. .. very strange.

Thanks for posting your MMS settings btw.

Mike

mike4262
Hooked

After making my last post I realised that it was unlikely that plusnet mms had a general problem or that there are "bad" sims out there and I happened to have 4 of them , or that the handsets we're using have an issue ... the problem had to be the mobile signal in our house where I've been battling this. So by disabling wifi on the iphones and hunting round the house for the best data signal .. 3g (which you can't see when the wifi icon is lit) I was able to see that MMS works just fine.

To recap for posterity ... I started chasing this because my wife couldn't get a picture that had been MMS'd to her ... I now think that she couldn't get the picture initially because wherever she was had a poor signal and then all my subsequent testing was at home where there's a mediocre signal. Learnt something I guess and maybe this'll help someone else.

Mike

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

For future reference for everybody else, having WiFi on will affect the mobile signal for all phones, not just iPhones.

Hambonz
Hooked

After being content that I can finally send SMS & MMS I had a problem today failing to send a SMS. I reverted back to default APN and was still failing. I tried sending to another number and it worked!.

After an online chat with support it turns out that Plusnet do not support short-codes !#

Very odd and indeed probably could be a problem for many. A lot of businesses use short codes for various reasons. Today I was attempting to respond to a message from my insurance company, and was unable as for some unknown reason Plusnet do not (or more likely refuse to) support short-codes.  I appreciate that some numbers can and do have an associated charge behind them, but all(?) others carriers do not block short-codes.

I'll open new thread on this problem, with an appropriate title --- so no responses to this on this thread  Smiley

****EDIT****  just saw that PlusNet refusing Short Codes is already well under discussion in this forum. 

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Just a quick FYI, Sky Mobile don't support them either.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

This forum would go into meltdown if chargeable SMS messages were introduced to Plusnet's infamous billing system Grin
RoyB1

Hi ,

I recently moved to Plusnet from EE (!) where I had no problems sending/receiving MMS -  with Plusnet it has taken some trIal & error but now sending/receiving MMS ....within UK ...BUT NOT FOR INTERNATIONAL - which was no problem on EE!

Has anyone found a way to send MMS to international numbers from UK ? I can receive but not send!!

If not possible this should surely be explicitly stated in the contract in services capabilities available ?  

OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi @RoyB1!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I'm really sorry to hear that you seem to be struggling with international MMS messages.

Our first step would be to make sure you have all the correct settings for these set up on your handset.

There is a section on the following link which may help. This section is titled 'How do I get my data and picture message settings?'

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/ 

If you can't find anything which helps on this page, please feel free to send me a private message so I can access your account and look into this further Smiley

Thank you

-Oli

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OliGaffney wrote:
Thank you for reaching out to us.

Sorry @OliGaffney, but what a hideous turn of phrase. Please feel free to get this post deleted if you want.