Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 6S Plus Locked

Wizhunter
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Iphone 6S Plus Locked

Hi.

I have been a Giff Gaff user for quite a few years but changed to Plusnet in the last few days, They made me an offer i couldn't refuse. My problem is i put my new Simcard into my Iphone and it says it isn't supported, Now i am without a mobile and have no idea what i am going to do. I actually thought my Iphone was unlocked but obviously isn't. I got this phone from my sister after she got a new one and i think she was on O2 so that's probably why the Giff Gaff Sim Worked. Any help to sort this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Wizhunter

14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Iphone 6S Plus Locked

Only O2 can unlock it https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Wizhunter 

Why not put your GiffGaff SIM back in until you get it unlocked. As you will be aware, there is no contractual lock in with GiffGaff.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@dvorak wrote:
Only O2 can unlock it https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo...

As the phone was previously on the OP's sister's O2 account this could be an issue? Presumable she would need to request O2 to unlock it, assuming of course that she is still with O2

Moderator and Customer

Wizhunter
Grafter

I can't use my giff gaff card as i used my old number on the new Plusnet service and when i put the Giff Gaff card back in it comes back as no service, i totally have no idea what i can do, i don't want to lose my number and i can't use my sisters number as she changed when she switched and the only place i keep her number is on my mobile. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Baldrick1

@Wizhunter 

If you log into your old GiffGaff account you can order an 'extra' SIM card that will probably arrive tomorrow or alternatively pop into a supermarket and buy a £10 top up and get a free SIM with it. It'll have a different number but get you up and running whilst you sort things out.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Just try their live chat link from here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo... . They MIGHT only need the IMEI...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Wizhunter
Grafter

I just got into the phone and it's telling me that it was originally EE so it must of been a while ago that she switched and @Baldrick1  I haven't had this number long and have only just updated the 100+ friends and family with it. I am totally screwed i think. New to iphone really as was always android before.

Baldrick1

@Wizhunter 

Are you sure that it's locked and not the APN settings that need updating,  see  https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/ ?

I found that this was the case when I couldn't get my MiFi to originally work.

Moderator and Customer

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When you put a different SIM in the phone, it it lies and says activating your iPhone, aka "We're talking to Apple's servers to see if your phone is actually locked". If it gets further than that then it isn't.

Apple have attended the Microsoft and Lithium school of error messages. If it moans you need to contact the 'carrier' (aka network as we're in the UK). Does it get further than that and show you a network signal, you can make voice calls? Try that if you can.
Wizhunter
Grafter

Everytime i insert the Sim it says Sim Not Supported, if i remove the sim i can access internet. I am downloading Patch 14.1 as i am typing here. I will just have to get it unlocked elsewhere. At least i have the IMEI number.

Thanks for trying to help.

PS i just tried the sim again and for a second saw Plusnet, which is weird.

Alex
Community Veteran

Okay I did cheat and Google this, but I hope it will be of help:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201328

Sounds like there could be a local SIM lock on the device itself, or on Apple's servers.

If you're using iOS 14 (I am now), it will tell you as suggested in the article whether it is a local lock or a network one. I would try:

If you see this message on your device with iOS 14, follow these steps on your working SIM:

• Go to Settings > General and tap About.
  • Under Network Provider Lock, you should see a message that says "No SIM restrictions".  If you can't that message, contact your network provider.

If it says it is, it'll be the server level. If not try a working SIM and it may be on the device level.

Wizhunter
Grafter

Tried that a few hours ago but will look again.

Wizhunter
Grafter

Just paid to have it unlocked so switching has cost me more than i first anticipated Sad

Thanks guys for trying, i will update as it goes along.

Wizhunter

Alex
Community Veteran

Should be fine, your network will only pass it onto Apple, who will run a quick SQL query:

DELETE FROM LockedTable WHERE IMEI = {IMEI}

Or maybe if they're feeling adventerious:

UPDATE IMEITable SET IsLocked = 0 WHERE IMEI = {IMEI}.

Even more if they have a provider table or a link table they can INNER JOIN to.

Money for old rope