cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can only get a signal in my loft. How do I amplify it ot transfer it downstairs?

Peter_Ryland

I can only get a signal in my loft. How do I amplify it ot transfer it downstairs?

My loft is the only place with a signal on any network

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: I can only get a signal in my loft. How do I amplify it ot transfer it downstairs?

Easiest way I think would be to use a Mifi device or a 4G router in the loft connected to the mains.

These devices will pick up the signal and you connect to the devices downstairs via wifi or in the case of the 4G router you could run a LAN cable to the downstairs to a wifi relay.

A lot of palaver but better than moving house.Grin

If you need to make mobile phone calls you might need to look at something like EE’s router but I know nothing about these but there are a few threads about here somewhere that will tell you if these units work on PN.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: I can only get a signal in my loft. How do I amplify it ot transfer it downstairs?

A 'femtocell' is what you need.

There are reports of the EE signal box working on MVNOs like PN and not just EE proper

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Mobile/thread-id/1956/highlight/tr...
Peter_Ryland

Thanks Chris.

It's not for data as I have a router with Plusnet. It is the fact that I cannot use the mobile as a phone at home and cannot get texts. Tugo works, but it is very flaky and nowhere near as good as Whatsapp.

Peter_Ryland

Thanks Davey.

I was with Voda and had a SS box It took 2 years to get it working reliably, What a fiasco! They are the worst company in the history of business!! I changed back to O2 as 8 years ago it had the best signal here of them all, although still unusable indoors. The signal has got worse since then. I think they turned down the 2g power because they now have 4g in my area, but only up the road or in my loft.

I was under the impression(I did research a year ago, and even bought EE, Giffgaff and another sim but they were all useless) that any internet router box(is that what you call a femtocell?) is ONLY usable by the subscribers to the parent network......not PN or Giffgaff or Talk talk etc. I certainly is with SS which does not work with its pickaback subscribers.