Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not activate mobile network

FIXED
maythyme
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Could not activate mobile network

I'm seem to be experiencing the same problems as others here. I've just signed up to PlusNet Mobile and although voice calls are working (but possibly not 4G) I get the message 'Could not activate mobile data network'.

However, I wish to make a broader point. I have been a PlusNet broadband/phone customer for many years and in the early days customer service/support was excellent – UK-based, fast response by really knowledgeable, friendly, helpful people. This standard of service seems to have gradually deteriorated over the years (particularly since the BT takeover).

Initially, I raised my problem through a live chat and was referred to a n on-line guide to change my APN settings. I found that on my iPhone SE there was no way to do this. The menu options referred to were not there.

I then tried phoning. I got the message that there was a 'higher volume of calls than normal'. You always seem to get this message now so surely 'abnormal is the new 'normal' and consequently more staff are needed to address the problem. I eventually got through and after some discussion I was advised by the person I spoke to that he had no idea how to resolve the problem and the best option was to contact Apple! However this is  learly a SIM card or network problem and nothing to with Apple.

I then tried e-mailing PlusNet. I was asked to provide security info but have had no further contact since yesterday.

What is, or maybe isn't, surprising is that, from the posts on this forum detailing the variety of responses received from PlusNet support staff (and indeed my own experience), PlusNet staff do not seem to singing from the same hymn sheet. It is quite clear that there is a major problem with data connections so why aren't all staff briefed to provide a unified response and acknowledge that there is a problem which is (hopefully) being addressed?

7 REPLIES 7
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Could not activate mobile network

Hi maythyme,

Thanks for getting in touch with us, I'm sorry you've been experiencing issues with your mobile data. Our Network Team are aware of this and are working on implementing a fix for existing customers; a fix was put in place last night for new customers. We appreciate your patience during this time and we should have an update on this later today.

If your account/SIM card is already active then you're an existing customer. Any new customers are customers that accounts/SIM cards are due to activate from midnight last night onwards.

- Rebeka 

maythyme
Hooked

Fix

Thanks for the update. Still not working though …

maythyme
Hooked

Can now access data! Also 'Plusnet 4G' at the top of the screen.

newcomerhere
Dabbler

How many others out there are being fobbed off by the PlusNet call centre, I wonder over this data issue ??

Was literally told on Sunday that there was nothing more they could do for me. Had been given all possible fixes and trouble shooting tips.

Not good enough. Customer services very patchy and defensive
FenderBender

I had this problem too. I had migrated from Virgin Mobile to Plus.net, but I could not access any data.

The solution for me was to delete the Virgin profile. Settings->General->Profile (which is under VPN).

NickLW

I’ve finally got my data!

Just want to let you all know the solution that finaly worked for me and might work for you too!

I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 11.1.2. I installed a Plusnet sim. Everything worked (voice, text) apart from data. Rang Plusnet. Tried their advice of removing sim for 1 min, blowing on it, putting it back in and switching to flight mode for 1 min. No joy. Tried their advice of going to Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. No joy.

Plusnet then sent me a replacement sim. Same problem. Ran both tests. Still no joy. Rang Plusnet again. Groaned when the operator (Harry) suggested the same tests again but then he said “I suppose you’ve tried …” and went on to tell me a possible solution that no one had ever told me before:

Go to Settings - General - Profile. There I discovered a ‘Profile’ called ‘TalkMobile’ (my previous sim provider). I deleted it and, hey presto, I finally got my data.

So thanks a lot, Harry from Plusnet!

NB. If you can’t find a file called ‘Proflie’ don’t worry. I don’t have one now and I’ve checked someone else’s iPhone and it doesn’t have it either. So perhaps only certain providers, like TalkMobile apply it.

John15

I have iphone SE running iOS 11.4

These are the steps I took to resolve issue. The above posts and others boil down to:

1. Go into Settings > General > Profiles and delete any existing profiles. (If you don't have any profiles, as I did, then this setting won't be available.

2. Make sure you're on the latest carrier version by going into Settings > General > About and you will see a pop up prompting you to download latest carrier settings if you aren't already on the latest version

3. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

All of these didn't work. What finally did it for me was

4. Perform a full iPhone restore through itunes. Here's the catch though: Do not restore any backups from icloud or itunes. This will make sure you don't carry over any network settings from previous carriers. You will loose all your files, apps and settings. These can be restored manually afterwards one by one, but it's as if you have a brand new phone.

Hope that works for everyone.

I have to say the entire process of switching to plusnet has been extremely frustrating. How can the setup process be so difficult?! I have used 3 different carriers on my phone and never had any problems like this before. Your customer services, while friendly and answer the phone almost immediately, aren't much help unfortunately. One advisor didn't believe me that the "Profiles" setting wasn't appearing in my phone settings and told me to visit a phone shop to see if they could find it and couldn't take the call any further (I contacted apple and they confirmed this should only be showing if you have a profile installed on your phone by for example your employer, carrier, or app developer). Users are left to fend for themselves by browsing internet forums and getting the same useless advice from customer services on every call.

Another thing that I am baffled by is not being able to see your used data, mins, and texts without logging into your account. All other networks I've ever been with have a phone number which will read them out to you or send to you by text on demand.

Also the lack of support of short numbers is terrible when all major companies use short number texts to communicate and confirm things with customers. Just this weekend I tried to text the british transport police and couldn't. Apparently the  reason for this is to stop customers racking up bills, as opposed to a technical issue. If this is the real reason then I despair. Let us, the customer, choose what numbers we call and text! Absolutely ridiculous but I guess you get what you pay for! 

Sorry, bit of a rant and I appreciate that it's probably not that easy running a mobile network.