cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring phone line and a different phone number

jmcgarrigle
Grafter

Re: Transferring phone line and a different phone number

How quickly once a line has been ceased by BT can the number be picked up by you?
Concerned about minimising downtime....
-J
James
Grafter

24 hoursish.
It can take upto 1 working day to stop a phone line and the same for the start.
Realistically, it is less time than that. Stops can often go through in under an hour.
There shouldn't be downtime though. A renumber is done on an active line, so there shouldn't be a break in service, expect on the line you are ceasing of course.
pj2014
Grafter

Thanks for clearing that up James.
@ jmcgarrigle
Hahaha, you have all the same doubts and anxiety I did before I read James's response. It appears a painless process, well apart from the near £36 charge! Just joking about the charge, if I get to keep our number, the charge is fine  Smiley
Well, I'll test this procedure in about 3 weeks when my BT line ceases and I try to re-number my PlusNet line. Will report back in the positive...(I hope!)
cheers
PJ
James
Grafter

Give me a shout if you need any help.
pj2014
Grafter

Sure, will do.
Thanks!
PJ
jmcgarrigle
Grafter

Hi,
Just wondering if you got anywhere with this? I'm about to start the process and order the case for the BT line...
Cheers!
-J
pj2014
Grafter

Yup, on the phone right now..  (still in the queue...)
The BT line (number) no longer works.... so today was the 30th day of the notice period...  Hopefully, I'll get through to PlusNet and get the renumbering process underway...
Will report back once its done, but I suspect the order won't complete till Monday.
cheers
PJ
pj2014
Grafter

All done.
PlusNet said my old number was ceased and available for them to put through the system. Renumber requested, accepted, payment (£36-ish) made and now just have to wait till Monday (at the latest)
Should get an email informing me that the changeover has occurred. Will report back Monday.
cheers
PJ
James
Grafter

Glad it seems to have gone through fine!
pj2014
Grafter

Update
All done! Checked the land line just now and made calls to/from it. The phone number has been retained!  Well that was painless.  Thank you PlusNet DCT team for your help + reassurance + explanations.
The only query I have is
- I just conducted a speedtest on the btwholesale website (separate issue) and on further diagnostics when it asks for phone number if I put (now stay with me on this one..!!)
02081234567  (my line had this number up until a few hours ago, calls no longer go through to it) but the BT test works under further diagnostics (still works!)
If I use 02089876543  (the number I wanted to retain and the phone now rings if this number is called) but the BT test says this number is not recognised..
I'm assuming its just the systems catching up with one another and all will be 'in sync' so to speak in a few days?
Otherwise, its all working fine!
cheers
PJ
jim:green ignore edit - all now back as was mod:end
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi
It would be best to * out a section of your telephone number, as this is an open forum, anyone who views this thread can see your landline number.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jmcgarrigle
Grafter

Either the OP has remarkable luck with phone numbers, or he's used fake numbers in place of real ones already Smiley
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Oops my error /coat  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jmcgarrigle
Grafter

So, my story...
BT cease ordered today, and despite being quoted 14 days(?!) they instead ceased the line the same day (again...?!?!). Renumber hastily ordered with Plusnet, accepted, and will hopefully complete in 24 hrs.
Only small gripe is that I was unable to activate a calling package change at the same time, so will be without anytime calls until the next billing date in 2 weeks. Other than that... fingers crossed!
-J
pj2014
Grafter

Hey,
Good old  BT aye?  I was also quoted same day cease, but it had a charge attached to it (£20 or there abouts IIRC)  and the other option was 30 days. The 14 day option was never offered.
Should go through for you today. Fingers crossed!
PJ