Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been ex directory for years, suddenly we're in the phone book

Columbia
Dabbler

Been ex directory for years, suddenly we're in the phone book

Hi everyone, I'm new so hope this is in the right spot  Smiley
Have had a shock this evening when I found my own details listed on 192.com under their free listings.
I've been with Plusnet since May 07 and always been ex directory, for years before that both with Nildram and BT.
Not only does it appear to state in the legal section that they will automatically maintain your ex-directory or otherwise status when you become a Plusnet customer, unless you write to request a change, but I have always insisted very clearly imo that I wished our number to be ex-directory.
I cannot believe it's been published together with my full name and address...it's also in our new phone book which arrived a few weeks ago.
I rang PN earlier but their 'provisioning' team are off at 5, and in the 25 minutes it took to get through to someone who could hear me  Huh they had gone home.
A ticket has been raised which I have added to in rather a cross manner, but to say I am furious is an understatement.
This is important as we have had someone not very nice make contact over Christmas, which ruined it for the children as I was so freaked out...I thought he did not know where we lived, and ended up contacting the police about it; it's only today that I have discovered how he knew  Angry

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and does anyone know how or why it might have done...I just don't know how to pursue it, although obviously the damage has now been done.
Thanks for any suggestions.
19 REPLIES 19
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Been ex directory for years, suddenly we're in the phone book

I am not aware of this being a widespread problem with Plusnet but Watchdog covered the issue with Talk Talk.

192.com also lists people from the electoral register unless one opts out of appearing on the edited list when completing ones registration.
mal0z
Grafter

I'm 90% certain that it was  Mand who said a while ago that when they sign up new phone customers, they retain the directory status they were given by the former provider.
Mine was certainly respected when I moved. So it looks like error either with the previous supplier, or maybe PN.

Hopefully Mand will be along in the morning to sort it out
Columbia
Dabbler

Thankyou guys, I appreciate your help...I wasn't aware this was a forum staffed by pN as well, maybe one of them can shed some light.
I don't have a copy of the old T&C but the current one says they will maintain status when you switch...I've not been in any past phone books at all, just the most recent one.
I've certainly never, ever writtento them asking to be included in the phone book, which is apparently what you have to do to get it changed.
Will check out link, thankyou - this is the kind of thing I would expect from talktalk, not PN  Sad
Very upset about it.
Btw I wasn't in the phone book at last address (still with PN), and moved here in 2008, and was given new number (can't remember if this was an option you have to pay for or not during house move) so I was already with PN and perhaps when I chose to have the new number, they bunged it in the phone book as default or something? I would have thought they would keep it ex directory though if the previous one was...mystery.
Thanks again.
Columbia
Dabbler

Gosh...I feel like the woman on that film, I am considering moving house - this is awful, they have no idea of the damage, also my full first name is listed not just initial. Something is going seriously wrong to allow this to happen.
By the way I am not on the edited register...haven't been for some years, also I considered not being on the actual electoral roll because of the fear of this same person discovering where I live. However that is only searchable by address so I thought it might be vaguely safe - plus I was reluctant to lose my right to vote because of him.
Hoping for some proper answers really. I'll let you know what Oftel say.
Thanks again.
carrot63
Grafter

As this is to do with personal information, I would have thought the Information Commissioners Office would be the appropriate place to find out where you stand / make a complaint against the mishandling of your data. I really feel for you - I know I would be spitting blood if I were in your position.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Columbia
I wasn't aware this was a forum staffed by pN as well, maybe one of them can shed some light.

The Plusnet Comms Team patrol these forums and one of them, Mand will probably pick this one up.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Think you'll find it's Digital Care now, Strat Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sorry, didn't know they had changed their name Wink Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Columbia
Dabbler

Hello,
well just spoke to provisioning team who have NO idea why this has happened  Huh
they have agreed without question to renumber the phone line, which I suppose is a start though they may later decide this is 'without prejudice'
I have been unable to speak to any sort of manager or make a complaint on the phone, someone 'will ring me back' apparently...not sure I believe that.
Have spoken to Ofcom, they said it isn't their problem, and to call the ICO who were actually very nice and said to put complaint in writing to PN, and wait for their response...then come back to ICO with this information.
Apparently we do have a criminal case against them under section 55 of the DPA.
If PN had signed up to the ombudsman scheme (Otello?) they might take it on but Plusnet haven't therefore it would be a legal matter between me and them.
Will be interested to see what their response is, I'll update when I hear anything.
(btw is call centre now in India?)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

'Overflow' call centre is in Durban, South Africa. Use 0114 296 5198 to ensure getting Sheffield.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Columbia
Dabbler

Brilliant. Thankyou.
It's not that everyone I've spoken to isn't perfectly good at English, but it is the names I cannot understand - I am trying to write down names as I go along. Also the subtleties of communication that are not really language based iswim.
Cheers.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
It looks like the line has been directory listed since it was provisioned in '08. Sad
We can renumber it for you and make it ex-directory (as I believe we're doing), but unfortunately that won't change the fact that your address is listed currently.
I'm no legal expert, but I'll raise this internally.
Columbia
Dabbler

Thankyou very much Mand, I appreciate all you are doing and understand there is a limit to what can be done at this juncture.
Mark, I forgot to thank you for your suggestion and link to ICO which was most helpful.
It's been confirmed that no request for directory entry was made when we moved house so it must have been some other issue, i'm relieved to hear it wasn't my fault somehow!  Smiley
I'm impressed with the response from PN since posting this thread and have spoken to some very helpful people. Next step is to put complaint into writing, I'd really like to make sure nobody else goes through this so if they can figure out how it occurred that would be a result.
Thanks again everyone. I don't imagine talktalk customers receive this level of care when they complain... there is something to be said for a swift and genuine reaction  to an issue.
Columbia
Dabbler

Just an update really.
Initially I was impressed with the reaction to my compllaint but it appears that since my letter was received and uploaded to the ticket on 2nd Feb, the ticket has been closed.
I've had a couple of amendments to say they are asking the provisioning team to check the original order but nothing at all since 11th Feb.
Really amazed that there's been no response in writing to my letter, no explanation, nothing. It's rubbish.
Been told this morning that it was closed due to my number now being ex directory but that was a different ticket, and nothing to do with the original order going wrong. Then someone said they have investigated it and it looks like it was BT's fault  Undecided
So what next? Are they just going to leave it? They have written that I called today and requested a written response but seriously...did it not occur to them?
For Goodness sake.