cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1571 Voicemail & Voice Mail Extra - number of rings before answering

nal2008
Dabbler

1571 Voicemail & Voice Mail Extra - number of rings before answering

Is it possible to set the number of rings before answering on the Home Phone 1571 Voicemail service or can that only be done on Voice Mail Extra?
If not, how many rings is the 1571 Voicemail service set to?
Also how many rings can you set Voice Mail Extra to?
Thanks,
Nigel
37 REPLIES 37
nal2008
Dabbler

Re: 1571 Voicemail & Voice Mail Extra - number of rings before answering

I am a little surprised that no one here has been able to answer this.
Perhaps very few people use either of the voicemail services?
Nigel
Not applicable

I have just cancelled Voicemail but not before I noticed that it gives approximately 7/8 rings.  It was sometimes not quite long enough for me to get to the telephone.
nal2008
Dabbler

This is what worries me.
We could do with something in the region of 9 or 10 rings before it answers.
I don't know much about normal answering machines either, but I had a feeling they answer in around 6 rings? So for our requirements they would be no better.
I expect you could get an answering machine that could do 9 or 10, but I would think it would be designed for the business market and would be a lot more expensive. It would therefore be out of our price range, as we only want it for normal home use.
Nigel
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
IIRC the standard voicemail cuts in after 6 full rings. This is only user-configurable on Voicemail Extra.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Interesting. We're in the process of being moved over to Home Phone. We've signed up for 1571 as it's useful if someone calls when we're already on the phone. Otherwise, our answerphone takes care of any missed calls when we're out. It's possible we'll need to change the number of rings after which our answerphone cuts in if PlusNet's 1571 answers so quickly.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
IIRC the standard voicemail cuts in after 6 full rings. This is only user-configurable on Voicemail Extra.

WHY?  Surely this is a ridiculous state of affairs..... in effect this is age, and ability, discrimination and could find Plusnet in serious trouble...
Age discrimination ..... because an aged person cannot move as fast as a younger person to answer the phone.
Ability discrimination.... because the disabled in a wheelchair, or using a walking frame, or just unable to move fast, to get to the phone..
Before I take this any further, I will give Plusnet the opportunity to remedy the situation by making the number of rings configurable by ALL users of the 1571 service....
They all pay for the service, why should the aged, and disabled, have to pay extra to answer the phone?
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: PJ
Actually you have to pay extra to have 1571 on your line to start with.

So why should you not have the ability to configure the number of rings?  That is where the discrimination comes into this..... not the fact that the service has to be paid for...
I think that Plusnet had better do something about this within 7 days, before I go further.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Excuse my ignorance.. but where exactly does the Discrimination part come into this? I believe that BT answer 1571 is configured in exactly the same way, and that is non-configurable too.
I don't see how a telephony voicemail service can be discriminatory imo, and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't see your argument holding much legal weighting...
shutter
Community Veteran

IMO the discrimination comes into this because the system IS configurable for the number of rings before cutting in. Therefore it is discriminatory to offer the service at a price for one part (the non cofigurable) and the Voicemail EXTRA  being "configurable".   What EXTRA service is being charged for.  This is comparable to saying that Banks with steps are "configurable" if they have a ramp so that aged and disabled persons can use the same facilities as everyone else.... BUT, banks, shops, etc., are not allowed to offer a "configurable" service to aged and disabled customers in the same way plusnet should not be allowed to offer "configurable" number of rings.  A answer service, which is "configurable" in this way, is therefore discriminating against people who cannot answer the telephone before the "service" cuts in , and functiions as though A). the person is not at home, or B) the person does not want to answer the phone.
I hope that clears up your admitted "ignorance" of discrimination.
shutter
Community Veteran

As such standard subscribers should have ample time to get to the phone

So another "discriminatory" admission............ aged, infirm, or disabled, do not come under the term "STANDARD SUBSCRIBERS".  and this is qualified by    "should have........ ample time to get to the phone"
If "Standard Subscribers" should have ample time to get to the phone, then by default, so should the non-standard subscribers.  Hence......  DISCRIMINATION
zubel
Community Veteran

You're quite within your rights to purchase your own telephone answering system instead of using 1571, which can be as configurable as you like.
I fail to see how this could be termed as discriminatory?
B.
itsme
Grafter

PN are only resellers for BT so @shutter you need to go after BT. Below is what 1571 Extra will give you and BT Retail charge £2.50 per month, not sure how much PN resell this for.
Retrieve your messages from any phone, anywhere. Voice only.
Pick up messages when you're away from home
BT Call Minder is the multi-feature answering service that lets you retrieve messages from any phone, anywhere.
Don't call us, we'll call you
If you miss a call because your line is engaged, BT Call Minder will take a message for you and call you back when your line becomes free.
No more mystery callers - NEW Missed Calls Service
It's annoying when someone calls you but doesn't leave a message. BT's new Missed Calls Service identifies up to 3 callers who have called without leaving a message, as long as they haven't withheld their number.
More BT Call Minder Features
Create your own personal greeting
Choose the number of rings before a call is answered
Store up to 30 messages for 30 days
Listen to your messages online at BT.com with 1571 Online
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I have to add this comment..
The 1571 service is a computer controlled system - It has no idea of who is using the service, so therefore cannot discriminate.
If you have issues with any aspect of the services that PlusNet provide, then instead of making thinly veiled threats in this forum area, use your communication skills as a grown and mature adult and talk to PlusNet either by phone, or by writing to them.
that way you can see if there is something that can be done to accommodate your issue.
After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained chap  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

PN are only resellers for BT

This is the same as saying that  PC World, are only resellers of laptops, or other equipment. and anyone with a complaint should go back to the manufacturer.....
Sorry, but that won`t wash..... The Supplier is responsible to the customer for the services he provides.  The Customer does not deal with the suppliers supplier....

Barry....
You miss the whole point......l
The original poster, was asking if the number of rings before the 1571 kicks in could be adjusted to allow more time to get to the phone.....  It seems to me that the OP possibly has difficulty in movement, i.e. is  aged, or disabled, or infirm, in some way..... or possibly is just a bit too far from the phone to get there in time.

The discrimination I see in this, is that it is generally the aged and infirm who need regular contact with the family to enquire about their health.... If the phone kicks in too soon, because the aged, or infirm, or disabled cannot get there, the family will assume the worst.  
The OP was originally told that it could not be changed, then someone advised them that it could be re-configured on the 1571 EXTRA service....
This is where the discrimination comes into play..
If a bank has a step in the doorway, it is legally required to provide facilities for the aged, infirm, or disabled to partake of the banks services in the same way as any "standard customer" would do.  They are not allowed to offer a two tier service.....
This is exactly what plusnet are doing................... EVEN if they are only re-selling the service of BT.