Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling no longer working after my FTTP upgrade

FIXED
Smack
Dabbler

WiFi Calling no longer working after my FTTP upgrade

I upgraded my broadband to full fibre a week ago and all went well and as expected. I do however have a major problem...

I have a poor mobile signal in the house and knowing I'd lose my landline after I switched to fibre, I decided to move my mobile phone service from Giffgaff to an operator who offered WiFi calling. I settled on 1p Mobile who use EE and also include WiFi calling as part of the deal. I was still on my regular broadband at that point and it worked beautifully. I could make and receive crystal clear mobile calls in the house even in rooms where there is no signal, reassuringly the words WiFicall would magically pop up next to the carrier name on my phone as soon as I walked into the house. It worked like a charm for a week.

The day of my transfer to full fibre duly arrived. Wi-Fi calling was still active on my phone when i got up, the engineer arrived and did the upgrade, all seemed fine until later in the day i noticed WIFI calling had gone and it hasn't worked since.

I've spoken at length to 1p Mobile who in fairness have been very good and they say all the settings at their end are correct, they've even issued me a new SIM just in case that was the issue. I've also done everything Apple suggest (I have an Iphone 12 mini) including resetting my mobile data etc etc. The time honoured trick of turning on Airplane mode and Wi-Fi simultaneously does nothing either. It's baffling.

Logic dictates, therefore, that it must be the upgrade to full fibre that has caused this issue as I've exhausted pretty much every other possibility, but that seems unlikely, or is it?

Am I missing something here? Any ideas would be most welcome.

51 REPLIES 51
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: WiFi Calling no longer working after my FTTP upgrade

Are you still using the same router as before?

Just a wild stab in the dark, but it could be worth checking that IPv6 is disabled.

Smack
Dabbler

I probably should have mentioned I use a Tenda AC1200 Mesh system with the WiFi from the Plusnet Hub2 turned off.

Anyway I've just logged into the hub and IPv6 does appear to be disabled.

While logged in I've turned the hub's WiFi back on and connected my phone to that instead. So far it hasn't had any effect on the WiFi calling issue.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

We've got 3 x 1p mobile phones and FTTP and wifi calling is working with all of them fine.
So I don't think it's a general issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
corringham
Seasoned Champion

In that case have you checked your IP address is recognised as being in the UK?  There have been various problems where an IP block is reported as being non-UK by some geolocation services, and your IP address will have changed with the new connection.

Edit: I should add that I have no idea whether 1p mobile care about IP address.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Stupid question maybe, but is the phone connected to the correct Wi-Fi address?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

I probably should have mentioned I use a Tenda AC1200 Mesh system with the WiFi from the Plusnet Hub2 turned off.

Are you still using the Hub Two?

How are the Tenda AC1200 Mesh system WAN configured?

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@jab1, actually, that is a good question - however I assume that as the same router is being used the Wi-Fi SSID and password are unchanged.

jab1
Legend

@corringham I assumed that too, but I have known phones to 'lose' the Wi-Fi address - got me once.

John
Smack
Dabbler

Yes I am connected to correct WiFi.

Thinking of the IP address idea...I do use AVG mobile security but with the VPN off. However, I usually have the secure browser function 'on' and the sets up a local VPN thing. Anyway I've switched that off too to see what happens. My phone is connected directly to the Hub Two right now so the Mesh system is eliminated as a potential issue.

I emphasise however that WiFi calling was working fine with my current setup before my FTTP upgrade. 

jab1
Legend

That's my thought quashed then. 😀

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Smack 

So confirm, you have the Hub Two WAN connected to the ONT and the Tenda AC1200 Mesh WAN port connected to a LAN port of the HUB Two? 

How have you configured the WAN port of the Tenda AC1200 Mesh, you might have accidentally created Double NAT.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Dan_the_Van, the router and mesh were unchanged so there shouldn't be any double-NAT, but it is reported as failing with the router Wi-Fi too.

This is a strange one...

jab1
Legend

@Smack Has Wi-Fi calling got disabled somehow?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@corringham 

It would depend how the Tenda is configured, if I was @Smack I would put the Hub Two in a draw and set the Tenda WAN port to PPPoE. There really isn't any need for the Hub if the wireless has been turned off.