Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my options?

FIXED
Crellster
Rising Star

What are my options?

We’re getting FTTP enabled in a few days and should be available to order within the month. I’ve been with Plusnet for about 16 years, might be more but it looks like there’s only a 70 odd meg service available? 

This is a “just take my money” scenario and I’ll be looking for a 300 mb/s service. 

Have I missed such a Plusnet service?

is there one in the pipeline I should wait for?

if I jump ISP can I do anything to pay for a service where I can continue to use my email addresses, even though the broadband service is rpterminated?

cheers. 

103 REPLIES 103
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: What are my options?

Hi there.

Unfortunately at the moment we just offer speeds of 38-40mbps, or 76mbps-80mbps.

If you would like to sign up once FTTP is showing as available, I'd head on over to trials.plus.net

I've got no news to share with regards to offering faster speeds I'm afraid.

if I jump ISP can I do anything to pay for a service where I can continue to use my email addresses, even though the broadband service is rpterminated?

Yeah we'll be happy to change your account type to mail only which incurs a monthly fee of £1.06 per month.

If you would like to go ahead with this, I'd recommend letting us know before cancellation.

Cheers

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crellster
Rising Star

Thanks Anoush,

Will do. That's great that you offer the mail only account option. 

Is your 80 (ish) meg service on the trial available on a rolling (say monthly) contract? Just working out whether to join the trial and switch later If I want / need to or just switch immediately. 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Crellster

The FTTP trial is a rolling monthly contract (both ways).

It has been a trial for 7 years now and support is via this forum only. The call centre will normally deny it exists. Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is your 80 (ish) meg service on the trial available on a rolling (say monthly) contract? Just working out whether to join the trial and switch later If I want / need to or just switch immediately. 

Yeah, signing up to the FTTP trial doesn't make any changes to your existing contract term (If any).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Because it's a Trial the service is not integrated with the PlusNet back office systems - which is why phone and live chat staff tend to know little about it.

You can't get PlusNetTV but you can get the BT Sport app (£5.00pm).

Finally, if you choose to terminate your phone line there is a surcharge for Internet only of £2.50

Brian

Crellster
Rising Star

Well it's been a wait and a case of checking the BT Wholesale checker daily (really) but at last I have WBC FTTP showing as available and a 1 step install

Funnily enough BT Internet still has me as 2 Mb whereas Zen have me at 330 Mb/s Smiley 

Just weighing up what to do so a few questions @Gandalf if you don't mind?: 

The Adsl trial - given how long this has been running is there a plan to productionise the FTTP service? ... it's just that the lack of action makes it feel like a bit of a dead end and not really being taken seriously by Plusnet? Even the basics like there doesn't seem to be a product owner - it's just up to you guys to deliver a service. 

Is there a roadmap to offer higher speeds? ( I know there wasn't 2 months ago Smiley )

If I sign up to the 80Mb/s service now how easy is it to move to an alternative supplier (I'm on a monthly contract). 

How long does that type of transfer take roughly? 

I'm asking these as a very long standing PN customer and I don't really want to move but the speeds on offer elsewhere are grabbing my attention. 

Cheers, 

J

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

given how long this has been running is there a plan to productionise the FTTP service? ... it's just that the lack of action makes it feel like a bit of a dead end and not really being taken seriously by Plusnet? Even the basics like there doesn't seem to be a product owner - it's just up to you guys to deliver a service.

Is there a roadmap to offer higher speeds? ( I know there wasn't 2 months ago

Whilst I appreciate that our FTTP trial has been ongoing for sometime, I’m afraid that I’ve no news to share with regards to its future.

If I sign up to the 80Mb/s service now how easy is it to move to an alternative supplier (I'm on a monthly contract).

How long does that type of transfer take roughly?

Unfortunately there is no gaining provider led process for FTTP which means that these type of connections can’t be transferred between ISPs. If one ISP provisions the service and you want to move to another ISP, the connection would need to be ceased and then reprovided (Which usually takes 1 working day). Unless you have an ONT which has more than one incoming port so you’d essentially be able to have more than one provisioned FTTP connection which is good for minimising downtime when switching ISPs as you could have some overlap.

I'm asking these as a very long standing PN customer and I don't really want to move but the speeds on offer elsewhere are grabbing my attention.

It’d be sad to see you leave after such a long time with us. While I again appreciate the desire for 330mbps as that’d be pretty nice would you feel the difference compared to 80mbps? It may be worth considering. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Crellster

One little thing to add to @Gandalf 's excellent answer, is that moving supplier on FTTP, you are going to be charged the £30 cessation fee. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bmc
Hero

@Crellster

A "one stage"  install means just one visit (hopefully!!!). You'll get the new style ONT which just has one data and one phone point (the "old" ONT had 4 data and one phone).

Currently (apart from PlusNet) I believe only BT and ZEN offer consumer FTTP (of the well known ISP's) so your choice is limited. If speed is your thing then one of these two will be your choice.

Price wise PlusNet is the best of the three (especially if you don't need your phone) but as you've noted, limited to "up to 78"

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

... (the "old" ONT had 4 data and one phone).

Mine (installed 2015) has 4 data and 2 phone.  Wink

Crellster
Rising Star

@Gandalf I guess I won't know unless I try it Smiley  Going from 4 Mb to 80 or 330 will be a hell of a jump. More of a kids downloading games scenario that makes me want to go for 330 (and "because I can") Smiley 

If I went with Plusnet and then move what's actually decommissioned? e.g the need for a second WAN port suggests there's a new fibre installed by the new / receiving ISP? I hadn't realised the drop cable (in my case) was the commissioning ISP's property or asset or have I misunderstood?

@bmc yes the new Huawei ONTs only have one data port so I can't follow Gandalf's suggestion for a move in the future. 

Funnily enough I tried BT's website and it's not showing FTTP as available. (Zen & Cerberus are, and there are a few other providers but they look more business orientated). 

I tried BT's web chat and was told a load of rubbish and that I couldn't order it. It really was a "Computer says no" scenario. 

I then called BT and was told immediately I could get 330/50; but the service / impenetrable nature of BT doesn't fill me with confidence. Because my Pcode isn't showing as FTTP on the BT website though I can't look at the service offers and I want to read it before doing anything. Decisions Decisions. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I guess I won't know unless I try it Smiley  Going from 4 Mb to 80 or 330 will be a hell of a jump. More of a kids downloading games scenario that makes me want to go for 330 (and "because I can") Smiley 

Fair, though I've got about 55mbps in a shared house with 3 others who game/stream a lot and I've not experienced any issues, but I see your last point.

If I went with Plusnet and then move what's actually decommissioned? e.g the need for a second WAN port suggests there's a new fibre installed by the new / receiving ISP? I hadn't realised the drop cable (in my case) was the commissioning ISP's property or asset or have I misunderstood?

I mentioned having a second incoming port, so there's no downtime between the service ceasing* with the previous ISP and being provided by the new ISP, but it looks like new ONTs nowadays only have 1 data port anyway.

*It should only be the asset on the BTwholesale and Openreach systems that's ceased, and shouldn't entail physical disconnection work, so all the new provider has to do is place an order "with existing ONT" selecting a date at least 1 working day into future and assuming the ONT is left switched on, the service should essentially be reactivated.

Because my Pcode isn't showing as FTTP on the BT website though I can't look at the service offers and I want to read it before doing anything.

Mind sending me a PM with your full address as I'd like to look into this?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@Crellster

Your phone number is usually the best option to use when running a check on websites. Even without checking, you should at least be able to see what prices BT are charging for each option.

Unless you have excess money to burn I suspect the "up to 78" speed would suit you most of the time. When games are downloaded it might be a case a waiting for a while rather than a moment.

If you change provider the only thing you would need to do with the equipment is unplug the previous router when your old service goes offline and plug in your new router.

I posted a thread recently with a link to a video showing an ONT is place.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/FTTP-Video/td-p/1551263

Brian

Crellster
Rising Star

@Gandalf PM'd you as requested.

@bmc I'd also have thought I should be able to just browse tariffs but it looks like BT don't want to reveal them unless they think you can achieve them at your property. At least thats the case for any of the "Superfast" (their term) services. I did actually use my full property address rather than just the pcode. (if you enter your number as well they threaten to call you back!)

I know what you mean about the difference in speed being more acceptable - it really is now a case of a while vs a moment as you say.  With a 40 Gb download at raw speeds (relative comparison rather than actual as I'm ignoring overheads etc).

2.8 Mb/s (what I have today)  = 35 hours 

80 Mb/s = 1 hr 12

330 Mb/s = 18 mins

...try rationalising that with a 16 yr old though  Smiley