cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hub 2 with ethernet passthrough powerline adapter (tp-link TL-PA7010P)

Pelgrane

Using Hub 2 with ethernet passthrough powerline adapter (tp-link TL-PA7010P)

Hi all. I've just changed to Plusnet; router set up and no problems there. I'm trying to connect my passthrough powerline adapter setup to the router but the router isn't recognising the adapter when connected (via ethernet). The adapter itself recognises that it's connected to something, but the powerline indicator itself isn't showing green.

I've accessed the Hub Manager and the ethernet port the powerline adapter is connected to isn't showing up as such 

Any ideas? I gather this is a common problem and I've done a lot of Google searching but I can't seem to find a solution.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Re: Using Hub 2 with ethernet passthrough powerline adapter (tp-link TL-PA7010P)

I've accessed the Hub Manager and the ethernet port the powerline adapter is connected to isn't showing up as such 

@Pelgrane what are you expecting the Hub manager to show ? the adapter doesnt have an IP address so it wont appear in the network map. About the only thing you MIGHT see is the port showing connected but that probably wont show until the adapter has established a connection to the remote adapter. Basically the powerline adapters represent a 'virtual' piece of ethernet cable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pelgrane

Re: Using Hub 2 with ethernet passthrough powerline adapter (tp-link TL-PA7010P)

Weirdly, after being switched off overnight the adapter now works. I had done factory resets of the whole network to no avail, but as long as it works I'm happy. 

Perhaps it just needed a rest...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

Glad it now works!. A word of caution, don't expect gigabit performance from the adapters. I have a pair of very similar PA7017 versions and they max out at around 150Mb when connected to the same electrical circuit. The speed drops significantly if connected to different cicruits , especially if there are separate RCD's or RCBO's protecting the two circuits.

According to your post you are on a Full fibre connection, if its a higher speed product i.e >150Mb then your powerlines are going to limit the speed to any devices connected via them. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.