Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to full fibre and equipment setup

j_s
Dabbler

Upgrade to full fibre and equipment setup

Hi all

Hopefully someone can help. Currently have an ASUS router (RT N66U) plugged into BT Openreach modem for FTTC DSL service. Am I right in thinking I can plug the ASUS router into the new ONT direct using PPOE settings still for full fibre which has just been switched on in my area? 

I'd like to reuse the original phone cable entry point for the new fibre cable ideally due to not wanting new holes drilled into my house due to all of the airtight work I have done. Is this even possible, I assume they wouldn't want to pull put the original cable out until the new install was functioning?

Also, trying to use the upgrade option on the Plusnet dashboard says it's not working at the moment, just in case anyone at Plusnet sees this.

Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Upgrade to full fibre and equipment setup

Am I right in thinking I can plug the ASUS router into the new ONT direct using PPOE settings still for full fibre 

Yes

'd like to reuse the original phone cable entry point for the new fibre cable ideally due to not wanting new holes drilled into my house due to all of the airtight work I have done. Is this even possible, I assume they wouldn't want to pull put the original cable out until the new install was functioning?

If your feed is overhead then Openreach will remove the copper line and replace with Fibre. If its underground then they will reuse the ducting and may or may not remove the copper line. Either way they should be able to use the existing hole in the wall to feed the fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

j_s
Dabbler

Thanks.

Feed is via duct. Holding my breath that they can get the optical cable as I know the duct is broken in 1 or 2 places (half moon conduit over the top of the broken sections now) under my newish drive and also patio slabs near where the cable comes into the house.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@j_s 

Have a look at the following Checker

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If it says WBC FTTP in the left hand column then you can get FTTP. Perhaps of more importance what does it say about FTTP in the narrative below the results window. It might just say if a problem is expected.

Until they try to pull through the fibre cable you won't know if the duct is a problem. A good engineer will work with you (if possible) in bringing the cable into the house.

PlusNet currently don't offer FTTP to new customers. They're still working on the website. The upgrade window in your Member's portal will some times show FTTP offers - mine did for a day and then went back to the error message. You need to phone in and speak to an advisor - especially to see what deal you might (or might not) get.

Brian

j_s
Dabbler

Hi Brian

Cheers.

It says:

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Pre built to curtilage Hard.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

I have seen the shared drive new duct work put in the other week as it runs from the pole on the road down to an underground access panel where it splits to the other 4 houses in our little cul-de-sac and you can see where it splits off for each property based upon the repaired tarmac. 

I know roughly the area of my own drive way where the duct runs, will see what happens when the engineer turns up.

I'm a current customer and as you said it seems hit and miss when the upgrade to fibre is visible so will call them tomorrow.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@j_s 

Do let us know how the install goes if your order.

One thing to confirm - you are aware you lose your phone and NUMBER with PN FTTP.

Brian

j_s
Dabbler

I will update this thread for others.

Yes I am aware of the telephone + number going. We haven't used it for years.

whiphound

Am I right in thinking I can plug the ASUS router into the new ONT direct using PPOE settings still for full fibre which has just been switched on in my area? 

Yes I have just had FTTP installed and am using this same router.  I just plugged it into the new ONT and it worked fine.

j_s
Dabbler

Thanks whiphound,

Openreach turned up today, 4 days after order but couldn't get the rod through to the chamber where the fibre splitter/junction hardware is. Seems to be a blockage in the brand new duct that has recently been fitted underground on the access lane to our house as he reckoned the rod was within centimetres of the chamber. They are coming back tomorrow with a camera setup and chunkier rods. My main worry was under my drive but that seems to be no issue which is good to know. You'd think brand new duct work fitted would be easy to rod, it seems not.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@j_s

There was a major problem near me where lots of ducting was blocked by building rubble for an estate built in the 90s. The builders at the time when "tidying up" just opened ducts and dumped whatever into them as of course the cables had been installed so no-one would look in the ducts again (by their logic). Fast forward to this century and BT trying to install FTTP and lots of streets were discovered all with the same issue within a small area. So not unusual.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
j_s
Dabbler

Openreach has been back twice, first team had cameras and larger "cobras" (rods). Determined new duct wasn't connected to old. New dig team required who arrived on Tuesday this week and sorted it along with rodding rope from my house to the chamber where the fibre interconnect is ready for the engineer to pull the fibre through and connect in my house. No date yet for that. All the guys who turned up worked their butts off and didn't hang around. In this heat, truly commendable.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@j_s your experience sounds like the new KCI2 Assure install process. Was that what was shown in the availability checker in the FTTP Install process column ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

j_s
Dabbler

@MisterW  Yes correct.

I spoke with Plusnet earlier as I have an install date of 29th September, this was before the new team arrived on Tuesday. I asked them to see if it can be moved forward now the duct has been fixed, will see if a new date can be provided. At least I know I can warn my neighbours they will need to tell the ISP and Openreach engineer that a dig team is required.

Sub contractors who dug and fitted the larger ducting down the shared lane we have didn't do a great job that's for sure. Openreach were not impressed. I told the Openreach team this week that the ground around the chamber is already breaking away and won't last for long with any vans that might drive over it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@j_s I spoke with Plusnet earlier as I have an install date of 29th September,

That's not very good. I thought the whole idea of the KCI2 Assure process was that once the survey & install prep had been done, then the final install was simple and only needed an engineer for a short time. That should mean they can schedule it quickly but this is OR we're talking about...

At least I know I can warn my neighbours they will need to tell the ISP and Openreach engineer that a dig team is required.

Nice idea, but I doubt there's any way that will happen, even if the ISP takes note, my guess is that OR will just do their own thing!.🙄

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@j_s I spoke with Plusnet earlier as I have an install date of 29th September, this was before the new team arrived on Tuesday

Thinking about it and giving OR the benefit of the doubt, maybe that original date was just a holding date. Now that the prep work is complete maybe they'll give a KCI2 completion date sooner ?

Keep us informed please