Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Can't Be Right

Wizhunter
Grafter
Fixes: 1

This Can't Be Right

Just had BB Fibre Installed and the speed seems really poor. I did a BB Speed Test and the readings were Download 1.31 mb/s and Upload was 9.26 mb/s. I was downloading a game when i tested it but even so i thought my Fibre should perform better than it is. Overall it seems a lot slower than my BB before Fibre which was actually pretty good. Any idea's anyone ?

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: This Can't Be Right

@Wizhunter 

According to your previous posts you have upgraded to full fibre. Is this correct?

Either way you clearly have a fault. Report it here:   https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Wizhunter  You say you were downloading a game when you tested the speed, that's not a good idea. When doing speed tests you should have nothing else using the connection. What speed do you get if you are not downloading a game and what speeds are you expecting to get?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Wizhunter 

@RealAleMadrid  is absolutely correct, you can’t use your available bandwidth twice. Speed tests must be conducted using a wired Ethernet connection between your hub and a computer with nothing else using the Internet.

However, I’m still mighty sceptical that this is correct on a FTTP connection, unless you are using wireless?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  From checking previous posts @Wizhunter has been upgraded to FTTP but we do not know how the speed is being tested.

Wizhunter
Grafter

I mentioned this because the old BB i had seemed to perform better than the full fibre, when i have downloaded games before i could go on youtube and watch video's without any issue's, now all i get is a loading symbol and i can't watch anything without it stopping and starting. I never had an issue with my old Broadband. I just ran a Speed Check and it seems ok at 74.35 and 20.8.

It just seems weak when multi-tasking, maybe i am just expecting too much.

Bibbleq

Have you had the email saying that your upgrade / install has completed?

I found that after my FTTP was installed the line profile remained on my old FTTC settings (~40 down) untill some time after I go the completion email.

Also check in the Plusnet member center under broadband and verify it shows the right new FTTP product name.

After those were okay (and with some restarts of the router / ONT I started getting higher speeds (now upto 400 down on what should be a 900 line, so not sure how long the full learning process takes to sort out a new line profile).

Fingers crossed.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@Bibbleq - you should start a new thread, there should be no learning process etc. it should just be full speed. However, make sure you're testing on ethernet, wireless is a limiting factor on anything above 500, unless you have invested in some decent WiFi 6 kit and have WiFi 6 devices.

@Wizhunter are you testing using a cable or is all wireless?

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bibbleq

@dvorak Thanks good to know re: "no learning curve".

I'm not done experimenting but will raise a thread when I've concluded it's not just my end Smiley

(few variables like using PFSense and it's issues with not multithreading PPOE connections etc - although tests with Plunet Hub show the same)

Wizhunter
Grafter

I use Ethernet Cable and always have, not a huge fan of WiFi tbh.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Which package are you on?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Wizhunter
Grafter

I am on Full Fibre 74.