cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected BT Openreach database problem

PreGP
Rising Star

Suspected BT Openreach database problem

Hi there, I wonder if one of the FTTP trial staff could help me. Our street last week has just been FTTP enabled for all the properties in the road apart it appears from just two houses. I'm happy to include the details of the postcode and the addresses in a Private Message but these two properties whilst adjacent to each other are no further away from the posts that have the FTTP Connectorised nodes than any of the properties either side and there seems to be no reason at all why they are listed on the BT dsl checker as "FTTP on Demand" with all the properties either side down the road are listed as "FTP enabled". A neighbour who lives in one of these affected houses is furious as he has been the main advocate involved in writing to OR and Better Broadband for Nottinghamshire on many occasions to get FTTP to our street and now he finds he is the one excluded from getting FTTP by what appears to be database error! He is not currently a plusnet customer but I said I would try to raise this with a Plusnet staff member to see if they could contact the OR FTTP team from your end to try an get the error sorted out. I see from reading other posts that others have had similar problems with the openreach database...

I'm getting an Openreach engineer to visit next Monday to start FTTP on the (soon to cease) trial but it seems cruel that the guy who has done all the hard work in lobbying for FTTP for our village is currently being excluded from getting the benefit himself and he is pulling his hair out in frustration!

Any help you could give would be wonderful.

Gavin.

18 REPLIES 18
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Suspected BT Openreach database problem

@PreGP

First thing to check would be to see if the phone lines to the two houses are connected to a pole which has fibre CBT's hanging from them.

What does the OpenReach site say for the two houses.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

You could get your neighbour to fill in the following form and see what OR say

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

Brian

PreGP
Rising Star

Mmm -  I've had a look at the properties involved (there are in fact three of them) and they look like they were all built at the same time. It also seems that they are not connected to the telephone poles unlike all the houses around them so they may have underground conduits instead. That may explain their FTTP on demand status on the BT wholesale dsl checker as I guess it is less easy to run fibre through a conduit than an overhead pole connection and so Openreach may have decided they are unwilling to fund this last bit and expect the end user to pay for the final bit of the connection.

I've forwarded the link for the Openreach form to my neighbour anyway so perhaps he can get some more clarity on the issue.

bmc
Hero

@PreGP

You should still check https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

It could be FTTP is planned but further work is required to bring the connection into the underground chamber that probably serves the 3 houses.

Brian

PreGP
Rising Star

@bmc

The Openreach checker says "Accepting Orders" but also says:

"The cabinet that serves your premises is live, but your speeds aren't as fast as we'd like them to be. Your area has been reviewed and there is a plan to do further work to increase speeds via FTTP technology.

We follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. As soon as we have built the network and made services available, you will see an 'Accepting Orders' message."

So I hope you are right and openreach and planning additional work required to bring FTTP to these houses. If that is right I guess it will just be a matter of more waiting....

bmc
Hero

@PreGP

I didn't state this in my previous post but I assume these results are from your neighbour's address.

If I read them correctly then FTTC is available at your location but FTTP is / has been provided due to poor speeds (long distance from cabinet?).

It could be more work is required or it could be an OpenReach records issue. Hopefully if your neighbour submits the form he'll get an answer.

You could ask the engineer when you get your install done but it'll be entirely possible they know nothing about the network install (different departments).

Brian

PreGP
Rising Star

@bmc 

Yes the Openreach results are using his address. (Mine is fine for FTTP). Yes his property is connected to a fibre enabled cabinet that is 3 miles away - so useless for FTTC. Hopefully he'll get clarification when he submits the form to Openreach although I know he's written several letters to the Openreach CEO about his situation already and not got very far....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Gavin.

If you can PM me their address (And landline phone number if possible) I'll be happy to look into this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PreGP
Rising Star

Thanks very much @Gandalf I've sent you a PM

Gavin

PreGP
Rising Star

Well there has now been a bit of an improvement. The BT dsl checker now has my neighbour's physical housename and postcode as showing FTTP available rather than the previous FTTP on demand but unfortunately his landline number is still coming up with FTTP on demand! The openreach checker says he can order FTPP on the basis of his house name but not on the basis of his landline.

Is this database mismatch likely to stop him ordering FTTP until openreach correct it?

bmc
Hero

@PreGP

If your neighbour is planning on staying with BT then I believe their ordering systems works using post codes.

If he's planning on moving to PlusNet then it may be too little too late as the Trial closes to new applicants on the 31st.

Brian

PreGP
Rising Star

He tried to order FTTP with BT today but was told he can't until the database shows his landline number (a BT line) as enabled for FTTP even though his postcode and house name show it is! The address checkers are only "indicative" apparently! So he has to wait some more until Openreach correct the database for his BT line.....

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@PreGP

Did he contact BT on their special FTTP help desk on 0800 587 4787 or just the general BT numbers?

If he didn't call the FTTP help desk then the responses may be suboptimal.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PreGP
Rising Star

I'm not sure what number he contacted BT on but I know he's watching this thread so maybe he'll give your "special number" try Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

We'd place FTTP orders by address. If BT themselves can do that too then they should be able to get the order in place. That said, if there's no WBC FTTP availability down their landline number the order may ultimately fail due to FTTP not being available to order as our suppliers always advise that the most reliable record checks are done via a phone number.

I've not received a response back from Openreach yet but I'll let you know when I do.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet