So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

No problem @Minivanman 

To change your FTTP product you'd either need to wait until (or if) we launch a FTTP product range or unfortunately move to another provider. If you do move you would need to manually cancel your service with us by calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 because there isn't a gaining provider led migration/transfer process for FTTP.

If you have more than one port on your ONT that makes things a bit easier as you can then order a new service from your chosen provider and then cancel the service with us when you've got an activation date.

We'd need 14 days notice when processing cancellations and I suspect there'd be no cancellation charges due to how long you've been on the FTTP trial. (We don't/shouldn't recontract FTTP services as per our trial terms Here where it advises there's no minimum term on the trial unless a contract is carried across from beforehand).

You can find out if you're in contract by logging into your account online Here if you're in contract you'll see a bar that says the contract start and end date. There's no early termination fees if you're not in a contract.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@DaveyH 

Pleasant as always, so no change there. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

@Gandalf 

... video links on a one to one basis with the family are fine, but video conferencing with a recently formed local community group is virtually next to impossible even when not on wifi.

@Minivanman 

Your own connection is most likely fine, but now you've mentioned 'conferencing' perhaps you need to establish whether the other group members all have reliable connections.

Some of them may even be on slow ADSL2+ lines.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

As mentioned earlier one of those taking part was my next door neighbour who is on a non-trial version of FTTP and also with plusnet. Our speeds are more or less the same using that link you posted, they do not use wifi, and they tell me they think they are paying around £40 a month for the service. Ouch.

The link was so bad we had a chat over the garden fence later. What other participants were on I have no idea but maybe ADSL as you suggest - and not something I had considered. 

Always astounded at how many people do not know how much they are paying each month for stuff be it the internet, mobile phone, rates etc.  Easy to lose track I suppose on bills that go out automatically, but still.

Me? I leave it all to the Mrs. 😉

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

As mentioned earlier one of those taking part was my next door neighbour who is on a non-trial version of FTTP and also with plusnet. 

@Minivanman 

It seems that someone has their wires crossed regarding the above.

Regarding their Internet connection, there is no PlusNet non-trial FTTP, so if they have FTTP either they are on the trial or they are not with PlusNet (unless they have a PN ADSL2+ connection alongside a FTTP connection from another provider).

Ir would be interesting to see a screenshot of a wired speed-test from both yours and your neighbours connection, maybe using the link I provided earlier in the thread.  http://speedtest2.aa.net.uk/

The only reason I can think of why your neighbours, if they are on PN, are paying £40 against your much lower cost, is that they still have their copper landline on which they are paying line-rental and possibly a calling plan.

Edit:  When conducting a speed-test it's best to make sure nobody else is streaming or downloading etc. on other devices.  Wink