Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed on FTTP 300

FIXED
cocowalla
Dabbler

Slow speed on FTTP 300

I recently signed up for the FTTP 300 product (came from Plusnet FTTC 80/20), and the engineer that visited was confident I should easily get 330Mbps, and should absolutely get 300Mbps.

However, speed is topping out at only 220-230Mbps. I get the same on both WiFi and with a gigabit ethernet port over Cat5e, so the issue isn't the local network.

I can't imagine it makes any difference, but the ONT wasn't fixed to the wall properly; a screw holds the bottom of it in, but the top is completely loose, so it doesn't sit flush with the wall.

I know 230Mbps is above the "guaranteed" speed, but IMO it's still not acceptable, especially for FTTP - anyone else had a similar speed issue? Anything else I can check or do, besides just leaving it to Plusnet to figure out?
Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Slow speed on FTTP 300

@cocowalla 

The first thing to do is eliminate your network set up. What speed do you get with the hub connected to the ONT and the the hub connected directly to a computer using the cables supplied with the hub? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cocowalla
Dabbler

@Baldrick1
As I mentioned, I already tried with a laptop directly connected to the Hub with ethernet. I get 220-230Mbps, the same maximum I hit with WiFi.

I'm fairly familiar with networking, and I've tried everything I can think of at my end, to no avail.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

What speed tester are you using ?

The BT wholesale one can be erratic at higher speeds , try the Ookla one , speedtest.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cocowalla
Dabbler

I tried a few different ones, including Ookla, the BT Speed Tester, and even tried downloads from a London-based VPS I rent - all top out the same.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are you using the PlusNet supplied Hub 2 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cocowalla
Dabbler

Yes, I am. Thought I'd see how I got on with it first, then maybe switch to a WiFi 6 capable router later (kind of poor a WiFi 6 capable router isn't provided TBH).

Also, the ONT is only around half a metre from the Plusnet Hub Two.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Also, the ONT is only around half a metre from the Plusnet Hub Two.

Distance from the ONT to the router isn't a problem as long as its Cat5e or Cat6 cable between them. It's ethernet so won't degrade up to 100m !

Have you got any spare cables ? Might be worth swapping if you have. Just to eliminate a dodgy cable.

Failing that, if it doesnt improve in a day or so, raise a fault https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

cocowalla
Dabbler

So, I opened a Plusnet ticket. First some bloke said he'd tried to call and put the ticket on hold - he lied though, as I'd no missed calls or messages.

And now they've just closed the ticket... saying everything is fine and because I get more than the speed guarantee (which is something like a paltry 160Mb), they basically don't care - they even "helpfully" suggested some links that might "help", such as "View your itemised phone calls" and "View your invoices"?!

Fibre has been available in my area for a few years, but I patiently waited those years for Plusnet to offer FTTP, largely because I'd earlier been happy with the UK-based support staff - which don't appear to exist any more. So, now I feel like a fool and wish I hadn't bothered waiting for a terrible service - what on earth kind of "support" is this?! What has happened to Plusnet?! All I want are speeds close to what I've paid for!

I haven't had to use Plusnet support for years, now I see it's gone to the dogs Sad Guess it's time to add a new TrustPilot review...

cocowalla
Dabbler

Can I move without contract fees?

I had OpenReach round on 26-Sep, so just over a week ago. Does the 14-day cooling off period start when I sign up for Plusnet, or when services commenced after the OR visit? I'd guess/hope the later, but am unsure.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm only getting 200-230Mb on a 330Mb package, and Plusnet support are an absolute joke these days - if they're not going to provide what I'm paying for, then I want nothing more to do with them.

Tags (3)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Ho cocowalla, I'm really sorry about this, please feel free to send me a PM with your username and I'll make sure we're doing all we can. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Can I move without contract fees?

The cooling off is from when you sign the contract ( It is the standard UK Distance Selling law).

When you signed up, Plusnet will have given you a minimum speed guarantee (which isn't the headline figure of 330Mbps).

If the service provided does not meet that minimum speed and you have given Plusnet the time to try and fix it, then leaving without early termination fees comes onto the table.

Normally the time to fix is at least 30 days after the fault is notified to Plusnet in the correct manner. This also assumes that you have logged the fault and have helped Plusnet and their agents to fault find and attempts fixes.

(Not 100% confident on the days elapsed being 30 might be more but will not be less as fixes can be time consuming)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
cocowalla
Dabbler

In case anyone else wonders what happened after a mod offered to help... well, nothing.

He merely reiterated that, as I get more than a whopping 50% of the advertised speed, they will literally not do anything to help.

I'm only 200m from the street cabinet, and only getting 200Mb on a 330Mb FTTP product - something has to be wrong, but apparently this is "fine", and now I'm stuck with this awful service and "support" for 2 whole years :`(

Tags (1)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Sorry to hear this. I've tested your FTTP service and the tests aren't showing any issues. How far you are from the street cabinet isn't really relevant here, as the ONT will get the full provisioned speed. 

Additionally I've checked the provision and I can confirm you are provisioned on the right 330mbps product. 

When you're running the speed test on your laptop that's wired straight into your router using an ethernet cable, have you switched off all other devices and made sure there's nothing open in the background on the laptop you're using? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cocowalla
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

> Sorry to hear this. I've tested your FTTP service and the tests aren't showing any issues. How far you are from the street cabinet isn't really relevant here, as the ONT will get the full provisioned speed. 

I'm a mere 200m from the street cabinet, if it matters. When the OR engineer visited, he stated everyone on our street got full speed.

> When you're running the speed test on your laptop that's wired straight into your router using an ethernet cable, have you switched off all other devices and made sure there's nothing open in the background on the laptop you're using? 

Yes, I've tried it both ways, over wireless and also gig ethernet plugged straight into the hub/laptop - maxes out at 200Mb all the same. There was nothing else running on the laptop, and while there is no other networking gear nearby, but I did try switching other things off, which made no difference. Even tried multiple speed testers and downloading from a VPS I rent.

Also, Plusnet support now claim I'm only syncing at 220Mb (despite maxxing out at 200Mb).