cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service unavailable

KpLUnREAL
Dabbler

Re: Service unavailable

Will try again once i get home , is the other problem fixed or still ongoing ?
jim:quote
maynep

I've ran my own tests using both Windows 7 (Pro 64bit) then XP (Pro 32bit) and I think the different error messages when connecting directly to the modem are just caused by the operating systems.
Cheers, Paul
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Just one thing to add on the diagnostics you're doing, make sure you reboot the BT modem whenever you plug a different router or PC into it so that it kills any PPPoE sessions that it's trying to establish.
We've got faults raised on all of them and I think Ben's spoken to a couple of you arrange engineer visits to try and find out what's wrong. I've been speaking to BTW and they've not seen other reports so I don't think the problem is widespread so we'll need to see what the engineer can find on the first visit.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
mike456
Dabbler

Guys not sure if its any help, but I've restored my comnnection by using a Draytek Vigor 2910 dual wan router connecting over PPPoE.
hope this helps.
Regards
mike.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi Mike
Got a question for you - was your VDSL box powered of for any length of time with you switched to the other router?
Working on a theory here.
Phil 
mike456
Dabbler

Hi,
From memory no, I may of powered it down and restarted the modem and then connected to the draytek router.
intertree
Grafter

So, BT engineer has been out and we're no further along.
Not a problem on any physical connections between the vDSL modem and the exchange.
Tried connection to BT test logins through existing router, through direct connect to vDSL modem via netbook and through spare BT Hub in engineer's van.
Engineer spoke to Wholesale who completely shut off dsl line (dsl sync light went out on modem) and restarted. Problem still persisted after this.
Engineer left, leaving the job marked as incomplete, and wholesale have said they will run tests on line overnight. They may send someone else out eventually.
Interestingly, the engineer noted the fact that he has been seeing this problem all week in Bangor through business connections to BT.
He said that he believes the problem to be at authentication servers; as BT infinity business connections require a login but BT residential connections do not (and he hasn't seen this problem on residential lines).
Because of this, he asked if the residential connection I have to Plusnet runs behind a business connection from Plusnet to BT Wholesale.
He was trying to work out how the same problem that happens to business connections to BT could be happening to residential customers on another provider.
This was the only really useful thing learned from the visit. That this problem has been happening elsewhere in Bangor on BT business accounts.
The sad part was that the engineer said that he had been at one of the business sites from 10 am to 5 pm with no resolution of the fault earlier in the week.
mike456
Dabbler

intertree can you try a dual wan type router similar to a draytek vigor 2910 - as I'm based in bangor and this router has seemed to resolve my issues
intertree
Grafter

Sadly I do not have such a fancy crazy router.
KpLUnREAL
Dabbler

Getting a engineer out tommorow , but this news doesn't give me much hope that i will be online  Cry
have yet to even enjoy fttc as it never worked
intertree
Grafter

I wish you better luck than I; and who knows, maybe their testing my connection overnight will allow them to suddenly discover where fault is and your engineer will just have to follow a handy step by step guide... Maybe?

Rubber tree plant style, I've got high hopes.
( here's the Spotify link for anyone interested - http://open.spotify.com/track/7d696vk1rICDs54c0ADfol )
KpLUnREAL
Dabbler

Quote from: intertree
I wish you better luck than I; and who knows, maybe their testing my connection overnight will allow them to suddenly discover where fault is and your engineer will just have to follow a handy step by step guide... Maybe?

Rubber tree plant style, I've got high hopes.

hopefully fingers crossed  Grin
KpLUnREAL
Dabbler

Works with netgear wnr3500 but very hard to get it connected in the first place , using pppoe to the vdsl router
intertree
Grafter

I think this is the first time I've begun to feel a little frustrated at this scenario.
Before, when I had the hope of an engineer popping out to fix the problem I was perfectly ok with awaiting assistance. Plus, this is the very reason we're on a trail right? To work out the problems to overcome before running the live service.
But now it seems like nobody knows what the real problem is; which is a little worrying really.
My aforementioned high hopes are beginning to waver it seems...
When it is worked out, can we each be sent a full report? Even if it's likely we won't fully understand it.

KpLUnREAL
Dabbler

Yep i agree , could there be issues with the routers ?
Using the Netgear , only problem is it can be very slow at connecting but once its connected it works well  Smiley
Nice to have freinds who have spare routers lying round lol