Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet - red light for LOS indicator on ONT

FIXED
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: No Internet - red light for LOS indicator on ONT

Just did a quick search to try to figure out where the splitter may be located on an FTTP network and found this image:

Splitter2.jpg

If the splitter divides the signal for different customers then you would have thought it would have affected other FTTP customers and not just me.

I don't know 🙄 I suppose I am just guessing how it works. 🙃

Regards

Howard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

I don't know much about the engineering side of FTTP, but that's my understanding too. While Openreach do regular maintenance on their infrastructure, it's possible that some equipment can fail before anticipated.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@hmarshy 

I knew each fibre serviced a number of customers so it looks like 32 is the magic number. Further back up the line there's probably aggregation nodes to consolidate fibre strands.

As to your problem it could well be yours was the first connection to fail so OR will have been able to replace it before anyone else had problems.

Brian

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@hmarshy wrote:

Just did a quick search to try to figure out where the splitter may be located on an FTTP network...

Normally on a distribution pole, or in a pavement chamber i.e. fairly close to your premises.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bmc
Hero

@bobpullen 

I'm guessing the sequence is

Internet Head End - Aggregation Node - Splitter - Distribution Point - Customer

Given the DP's can be daisy chained the splitter could be some distance from a house.

Got me thinking about my connection. I live in a "circle" of about 50 houses.. I know the DP (8 customer nodes) that serves my house is the last on a daisy chain. Thing is, counting backwards leaves about 6 houses at the start of the street once I get to 32. There are about 9 after me which I know are on a separate circuit.

So it would appear there is a splitter further round the street from me but two groups of houses appear to be served by splitters elsewhere.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Although an old web page the following might be of interest.

blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

Brian