Moving back to Plusnet

FIXED
ScottyKernow
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Moving back to Plusnet

Hi all

Would appreciate some help

I had to move away from PlusNet to get FTTP, my BT FTTP contract ends on the 15th and PlusNet are due to ring me tomorrow about their FTTP deals. I assume these go live then

I have always been happy with the service from them and want to return to "the fold"

I still have and use as my PlusNet email as my primary email and do NOT want to lose it, far too many website and accounts use that

I still use my landline phone (wife prefers it). I realise i might have to open a Sipgate account and transfer my landline number prior to changing (unless PlusNet will offer me that service)

I still have one referral that I would like to keep, £5 off is better than nothing!

Is there anything else that I need to consider?

Something I may have missed or not understood?

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance

21 REPLIES 21
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Moving back to Plusnet

@ScottyKernow 

At this moment in time PN are only offering FTTP to existing customers.

The PN FTTP service is data only so you would have to port your number prior to moving - being careful not to cancel your FTTP service. You'd need to speak to BT about that.

Brian

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

When i rang them a week or so ago, they indicated that a deal would be available tomorrow, fingers crossed
And thanks for that, will add to the list
bmc
Hero

@ScottyKernow 

Perhaps they've got their website problems sorted out and are launching to new customers tomorrow.

Another thing to ponder is PlusNet have closed their e-mail to new customers (in April) and no longer offer e-mail only to departing ones. There are also rumours (only rumours) that PN plans to shut down e-mail completely at some point in the future.

Give consideration to a completely new PN account for FTTP and leave your old id with it's e-mail services alone. That would ensure you're not tied to PN FTTP in the future.

Brian

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Perhaps i really do need to bite the bullet and start moving my email address over
Thats a big job for me...
Ah well...
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Always a good idea to stay away from ISP dependent email addresses , ive been migrating what i can for some time, the problem is theres alwys a few sticky places where its not so easy.

If you have an email only account this may still continue as it does now for a while, but rumours sugest that plusnet may be discontinuing their email service and closing it down altogether at some point.

One solution the the phone/voice service could be to port your landline to a voip provider such as sipgate and use a temporary solution such as mobile broadband to tide things over until you have FTTP up and running and if going with plusnet when they launch fttp for new customers just create a new account so you will have two plusnet accounts - one the legacy email only account and the other a new fttp account .

bmc
Hero

@ScottyKernow 

I'm with you - been using my PN e-mail for far too many years to make an easy move elsewhere.

Given the timescale you may need to go "off contract" with BT to ensure service continues. If PN give you a "live" date of, say, the 29th then you could port your landline to Sipgate on the 28th. This would presumably cancel your BT service and give you a day off the internet. You might get hit with a BT cancellation charge depending on how they consider things.

Can't help with your referral credit.

Be interesting to see what PN say tomorrow.

Brian

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Interesting things said here, appreciate all the replys
Will let you know whats said tomorrow
Thanks again
bmc
Hero

@ScottyKernow 

Just out of interest - how "new" is your ONT?

Mines old enough to be "4 port" (with an external Battery Back Up unit) but OpenReach moved to "one port" a good while back. I seem to recall a discussion several years ago that indicated I could have more than one ISP at any given time.

Also, what router do you have from BT? If it's a SmartHub2 then this is basically the same as the PN Hub2.

Brian

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Hi

My fttp is now coming up to 12 months old. For some reason BT didn't put me on a 2 year contract, I have checked with them and they confirmed this does expire on the shown date

The fibre has been great, stable and solid, shame about the nightmare of dealing with BT, literally could not organise a drinking competition in a brewery...

And yes it is the smarthub2

I was surprised they actually did fttp for us as we are 30+ metres from the road and the only property here, I owe BT a pint for that

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hey @ScottyKernow thanks for exploring your options and thinking of returning to us as your Internet Service Provider. Unfortunately I fear you may have been misinformed.

Whilst I'm not 100% sure (I'm not at my work laptop) I'm almost certain that we're not going live tomorrow with FTTP for new customers. I'll check this when I'm in the office tomorrow, but none of the dates I've heard line up, and it would be quite unusual for us to roll-out an update on any Sunday evening, let alone a Bank Holiday Sunday.

I'd be extremely grateful if  you could drop me a PM with the telephone number you contacted from enclosed, I'd like to listen to the call (if I'm right) and make sure that we provide feedback to the agent that gave you the misinformation.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Info sent as requested 

Still hoping for good news tomorrow 

🤞

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Hi all

Spoke to PlusNet, new fttp accounts to be offered in next 2 - 3 weeks

No idea of pricing yet

Will have to move phone line to sipgate (or similar)

Just gotta sit tight a bit longer

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Update!

Just had a phone call from PlusNet

They have started the process of taking over my internet service, it will be a transient account for the 2 week period before full fibre

Am smiling now  ( sad but true)

😁

ScottyKernow
Rising Star

Hi all
Have had to cancel my new PlusNet account as the PlusNet sales team don't seem to be totally up to speed on all the potential problems with their FTTP
This is due to me wanting to keep my landline phone number
Will submit a new application WHEN PlusNet advertise their FTTP on their website
See you al back here in a couple of weeks time
Beware anyone who also want to keep their landline phone number