cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest on FTTP?

Wilsonline
Grafter

Re: Latest on FTTP?

Since Plusnet decided to stop the IPTV Youview service I've no reason to stay with them anymore. So I've pre ordered with Hey Broadband and now just waiting for them to get the fibre to the pole outside my house. Could be a few months still sadly, but looking forward to 100Mbps.
dgp
Rising Star

My take on this is Plusnet are removing the ‘added value’ add-ons to avoid competing with mainstream BT before they launch FTTP as a ‘no frills’ service. Either way they’d better get a move on as my contract is coming up for renewal in the next few months.

RRM
Rising Star

Isn't it Autumn 2021 now?

No news yet..... 

I've renewed my contract with PN, so narrowed my options to EE or BT when they eventually finish installing FTTP in my area!!!! 

I may consider keeping my FTTC as a backup and for the phone line, adding FTTP from another provider, sky just dropped me a flyer, there contract is 18 months for FTTP not 24 as EE and BT offer.

Still waiting for the installers to sort out a blockage that is preventing them from finishing the fiber run on our estate! 10 weeks, 2 visits, from 'civils' to confirm there is a blockage that needs to be sorted.

R

dgp
Rising Star

Technically I don’t think you can do what you are thinking about. The fibre link from your house to the cabinet replaces the copper one and all the copper related stuff is removed.

damianmcr
Grafter

The wait is ridiculous isn't it.

Do providers like Talktalk still buy you out of your contract?
RRM
Rising Star

interesting.

My line comes from a green box about a mile away. from what I have read, FTTP would come from the central exchange. Two separate circuits, so why can't you have FTTP and FTTC?

The one product has nothing to do with the other does it?

R

dgp
Rising Star

Assuming you already have FTTC I’m pretty sure FTTP comes from the same green box. They just replace the copper wire with fibre.

ciderboy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've still got the copper line coming into my house - for the first few weeks I had my fttp the phone line was still using the copper (it's all done over the fibre now).
Moving to BT for fttp was one of the best moves I've made.
RRM
Rising Star

I know this is not an authoritative resource but seems to suggest it is possible.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/fttp-and-fttc-at-the-same-time.37244/

So if that is the case

Keep PN FTTC & Phone

when available, order FTTP only from anywhere.

R

dgp
Rising Star

Yes the wait is ridiculous. It would be helpful to have an update from PN.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@dgp wrote:

The fibre link from your house to the cabinet replaces the copper one and all the copper related stuff is removed.

@dgp 

Not generally at present (but depending on the state of play in a particular area as to whether copper services are being removed); there's nothing to stop someone keeping FTTC (at least for the time being) if they already have it and ordering FTTP as a separate service, likewise for keeping the copper phone line (again, at least for the time being).

Many of us on the PN FTTP trial still have our copper phone lines up and running (myself included, with BT), although some have disposed with them.

barnyandpippa
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTP doesn’t go to a cabinet so doesn’t “replace” the copper. Landline phone may or may not be carried on the fibre. If not, it will remain on the existing copper.

Even if it is provided using the Tel ports on the ONT, I doubt the installers bother to go and recover the copper cable to a cabinet they have no other reason to visit.

FTTP is delivered over a passive optical network.
RRM
Rising Star

Thanks.

Lets all hope PN get there act together soon and start offering FTTP.

R

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@dgp wrote:

Assuming you already have FTTC I’m pretty sure FTTP comes from the same green box. They just replace the copper wire with fibre.

Err, no, @dgp 

FTTP doesn't work like that, it doesn't come from a cabinet, so the copper line is not simply swapped for fibre.

RRM
Rising Star

Diagram here, about half way down the page.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first

Shows the connection routes used. 

R