Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet status: connected but can't access internet

FIXED
readingg
Grafter

Internet status: connected but can't access internet

I have been on the fibre trial for years and I have been using an asus router which has been working without any problems. I thought I would upgrade to a newer model today, but it failed to connect to the internet. Then checking what username I should use via my plusnet account I noticed it had changed from <username>@plusdsl.net to <username>@plusdsl2.net. When I tried this it connected but I still couldn't access any websites they just timeout.
Eventually I gave up and switched back to my old Asus router, but this then had exactly the same problems (even though it had been working fine previously) and I now have no access to the internet, even though the router says the internet status is connected. Help!
14 REPLIES 14
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Internet status: connected but can't access internet

@readingg There is a known fault that seems to be affecting customers on the FTTP trial. See message #5 of this thread.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-Fault/m-p/1888829#M18897  

also this thread, particularly message #20

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Strange-apparent-router-authentication-failure/td-p/1888919... 

There has been some unexplained change in BT wholesale's configuration of the FTTP connection preventing internet access. Phoning customer service will probably not help as they don't seem to have knowledge of the problem.

It was first identified by forum staff member @Gandalf who should be able to get it fixed for you.

readingg
Grafter

Unfortunately the message doesn't seem to have got through to customer support as (apart from asking me to do a factory reset of my router which I declined to do) all they have done is to arrange for an BT engineer to come on Monday. Here's hoping @Gandalf accesses the community at the weekend
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Unfortunately I’m not in the office this weekend but even if I was, I’m afraid our suppliers quality assurance team, who have the power to fix, are closed weekends. If you can PM me on Monday I’ll pick this up for you.

In the meantime an incident is logged so this could be resolved sooner as I know they’ll be proactively fixing any remaining connections affected by this problem. Assuming of course you are affected by the same issue. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@readingg  That doesn't sound good, unless BT Wholesale get round to fixing it over the weekend. There are reports on the forum of Openreach engineer visits where they spend hours achieving nothing because there is nothing wrong with the actual FFTP connection, and don't know about the BT Wholesale configuration problem which they probably cannot fix anyway.

CapnChris

@Gandalf  Hi I have exactly the same problem as the other posts on this thread. Original FTTP Trial user from the very start. Lost internet access on Mon 19th Sept. Technical support checked line then sent out Openreach twice who confirmed no issues with the fibre or ONT and referred me back to plusnet. I have been sent a second router. This did not solve the problem so they are sending another - still not received. As an emergency worker with a requirement for internet I purchased a third party router. I couldn't connect that either to the internet. I suspect the new PN router won't solve the problem either. So to tide me over I've purchased a 5G hub. Can you help restore my internet connection?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi @CapnChris,

I'm really sorry to see your FTTP connection has stopped working and you're having issues getting it fixed. I'll speak to our suppliers helpdesk to fix when they're open tomorrow for you once I'm in after 11:30am. 

I've waived the postage fee so you won't have to pay for the new router we're sending due to this. I've also provided feedback internally regarding the way we're handling the problem. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
readingg
Grafter

So happy that Gandalf managed to sort this out for me yesterday. It was indeed another instance of the BBVR record problem (btw I'd love to know what BBVR stands for!). I was also able to pass this information on via our local community Facebook page to two other residents whose broadband had been out of action due to the same issue for a lot longer than me, and who were getting nowhere with repeated engineer visits and replacement routers. Gandalf is on the case for these now, but in one instance the previous inept attempts at fixing the problem seem to caused a whole heap of new issues.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@readingg, thanks for spreading the word!

I’m really sorry again for how the problem has been handled, we’re feeding this back to the right people. 

I don’t actually know what BBVR stands for, but I’ll ask for you and I will certainly tell you if I find out. 

If there’s anything else you’d need help with, feel free to get back to me. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@readingg  I have made a few rather disparaging posts about how Plusnet have handled this incident and you have summed it up well, customers services have caused more problems as a result of their lack of awareness of the issue.

CapnChris

Thanks @Gandalf  for your attention. Appreciate your efforts

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @CapnChris and sorry for the delay. The incorrect configuration at our suppliers side should now be fixed for you. Could you turn your router off then on again and let me know how you get on? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @Gandalf as per message #7.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@readingg wrote:
(btw I'd love to know what BBVR stands for!)
@Gandalf wrote:

I don’t actually know what BBVR stands for, but I’ll ask for you and I will certainly tell you if I find out. 

We’re 99.9% sure it stands for BroadBand Virtual Router

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
readingg
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf for this it's nice to know