Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub2 question

FIXED
KremmenUK
Hooked

Hub2 question

We are currently on FTTC using a Hub 1

FTTP Engineer arriving Wednesday and the Hub 2 arrived yesterday.

Can I wire in the Hub 2 now, obviously not using the red cable, so I can disconnect and reconnect all our smartplugs to the new SSID and password combination or is the Hub 2 I've been sent just ONT compatible ?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Re: Hub2 question

Can I wire in the Hub 2 now, obviously not using the red cable, so I can disconnect and reconnect all our smartplugs to the new SSID and password combination or is the Hub 2 I've been sent just ONT compatible ?

@KremmenUK the Hub 2 will work on both FTTC and FTTP ( obviously with different connections ) . Why not make life easy and change the wireless SSID & password on the Hub2 to be the same as those of the HUb 1 , then you dont have to change all the devices!

BTW the Hub 1 will also work on FTTP although it has an upload speed limitation of around 30Mb ( fine if you havent gone for the higher speed FTTP products )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Fix

@KremmenUK  Welcome to the Plusnet Community forums.

You can swap over to the Hub 2 straight away, simply plug the DSL Hub 1 lead in to the HUB 2 DSL socket instead of using the WAN cable.

Whilst it makes life easier in the long term to change the SSIDs on all your devices, if you want less hassle at this stage simply log in to the Hub 2 Advanced Wireless page and change the wireless SSID  and password to the same as your Hub 1. The only downside is that if the Hub 2 is factory reset either automatically or manually in the future your wireless devices will not automatically reconnect until you reset the Hub 2 SSID again.

Incidentally, you can use the Hub 1 on FTTP if you swap the DSL lead and input for the WAN one. The downside is that your upload speed will be limited to 30Mbps. The Hub 2 has better wireless performance except you do not have the option to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Edit

@MisterW   types much faster than me.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

KremmenUK
Hooked

Thanks both, very useful.

I think, whilst it's less hassle to change the SSID, this isn't my house so moving forward, if she has to reboot the router, it makes sense to leave it at default and remove and reconnect the wireless devices.

I'm not sure what's happening Wednesday as she thinks it's just an engineer survey visit. I think we have the fibre to the underground pavement manhole and we have the purple fibre cable from the manhole to the front of the house, currently just coiled up with the protective cap.

I don't know if the purple cable is connected in the manhole but the outside and ONT box needs installing.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

if she has to reboot the router

@KremmenUK rebooting the router wont lose the changes. The only action that will lose the changes is a 'factory reset'

I'm not sure what's happening Wednesday as she thinks it's just an engineer survey visit

Some properties with underground installations are shown ( on the BT wholesale checker ) as 'KCI2 assure'. THis means a survey is needed before Openreach will commit to an actual install date. However , the fact that the router has been received tends to indicate that an install date has been given.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KremmenUK
Hooked

Thanks again

All up and running with the default SSID. Now to reconnect all the Smart devices .....

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

All done, just waiting for Wednesday now, 145Mbps, maybe  😀

Let's be careful out there !
Gamichea
Dabbler

@MisterW  & @Baldrick1 thanks for for this confidence inspiring confirmation. Here Hub2 is replacing a Hub1 used simply as a gateway for a Linksys ddwrt router. People in a similar situation might like to know that when I had made the substitution the PCs on the Linksys ethernet had no internet access but could access other devices on the LAN. A laptop plugged directly into the Hub 2 had full internet access so I tried renewing the Linksys DHCP lease as there had been a change of gateway device. This did not have any immediately discernable effect but the Win11 PC sorted itself out fairly quickly thereafter whereas the Win10 PC needed a restart.